Double tank diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigDiver

Reaction score
I am looking for some information on the use of double tanks to increase bottom time. What is required and what does one need to know to do this type of diving? Thanks

First off, HOWDY! from Texas and welcome to the board! Please be sure to drop by the Intro and Greets area and tell us more about yourself.

I too had a similar question several moons ago....

The answer is...when you take the Advanced Nitrox/Staged Deco classes (such as the ones with Technical Diving International). This class will not only cover all of the theory that is involved that that type of diving, but all equipment considerations as well.

I have a good friend who does a good job explaining all of this if you'd like me to hook you two up. If you do want to e-mail him, send me a Private Message (or PM, by hitting the --MSG-- button below) and I'll get you his info.

What kind of diving are you doing now and what kind of diving would you like to do in the future????

Give Uncle some specifics to work with here....

Uncle Pug's questions, plus:

How long have you been diving? Is the problem that you consume more air then your buddy?

Or, to be blunt, are you a new diver who's an air hog? :)

If so, we can probably solve that problem here much more cheaply and easily than setting up doubles!

Roak

This is in response to my first question about using and gaining knowledge in double tank diving. More info about me is that I would consider myself a new diver. I have been diving for two and a half years and have about fifty dives logged. Thats only diving in the summer ofcourse. The reason I am interested is to increase bottom time. I consider myself fairly efficient with breathing but right when i am getting to the dive its time to go up again. I have no intentions of going beyond recreational limits just that i want more time to enjoy the under water world. Hope that helps

Big Diver accidentally started a new thread, so I merged his one post there to here... which is where I believe he intended it to be.

Originally posted by BigDiver
The reason I am interested is to increase bottom time. I consider myself fairly efficient with breathing but right when i am getting to the dive its time to go up again. I have no intentions of going beyond recreational limits
As long as you're talking about non-tech recreational open water, you might want to consider a couple of different alternatives - a larger tank is the easiest to deal with - or independent doubles, where you just strap on two 80's. Special adapters are available for that, but you still need a backplate and wings to handle them.
See http://www.dive-rite.com/products/gas/ind_dbl.htm as an example.
Rick

IMO, if the main point is to increase the amount of time you can stay "on the botom", and you're not into the tekkie stuff, then the simplest solution will be a larger tank.

If you are staying above basic recreational limits (aka, 60 feet), a larger tank should allow for a pretty long dive without setting you into a deco obligation.

But depending on several physcal factors and dive experience, you should eventually reach a point where at 60 feet or shallower, you can easily get 45 minutes to an hour underwater (descent to ascent).

When I started, I would suck an AL80 dry in just 25 minutes. Now after 60 dives, I'm getting close to breaking the 50 minute mark as long as I'm 45 ft or shallower.

I have to agree mike. I own two sets of double lp steel 72s and two hp PST 120s. I prefer the 120s any day to the 72s!

Yup...bigger single tank....
If you can get the fills a PST HP102 is great....
If you can't a PST LP104 is the ticket....

But maaaybeeee...

With a little more experience....
You will be able to get 50@60w/80....

And that would be your NDL....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom