Double hose regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations, Eric. I hope you'll continue to make AL plates without the rail as well as SS plates.

I hope you have a good run with these plates.

If this goes good I just may. The only thing is the 1/4" AL plates are only 1lb - 6 oz lighter. I don't know if that's enough weight savings to justify a whole separate product.
But we'll see, if there's demand I'll do it. Gotta keep people supplied with stuff they need.
BTW, how is your AL plate holding up? Does it have it's patina yet?
You probably already know this, but if you want it shiny, go get a small can of aluminum wheel polish and hit it once in a while. It'll look brand new.

If this goes good I just may. The only thing is the 1/4" AL plates are only 1lb - 6 oz lighter. I don't know if that's enough weight savings to justify a whole separate product.
But we'll see, if there's demand I'll do it. Gotta keep people supplied with stuff they need.
BTW, how is your AL plate holding up? Does it have it's patina yet?
You probably already know this, but if you want it shiny, go get a small can of aluminum wheel polish and hit it once in a while. It'll look brand new.

I see no need for the aluminum to be 1/4", 3/16" is plenty and I have no problems with the 1/8" 6061 plate I built, even with doubles, that is similar to yours.

I see no need for the aluminum to be 1/4", 3/16" is plenty and I have no problems with the 1/8" 6061 plate I built, even with doubles, that is similar to yours.

One reason I went with 1/4" was because I could drop a 1/8" round over bit into the slots and around the perimiter, then flip it and repeat the process. I just use a regular router and high quality wood bit and it works great. The other reason is I liked the beefy feel of the 1/4" and I never have to worry that any of the slots will crack out from stress.
I used 5052 because it has the same corrosion resistance of 6061 but is formable. 6061 has more silicon in it making it harder and it's not recommended for bending or shaping because it's brittle and can crack.

One reason I went with 1/4" was because I could drop a 1/8" round over bit into the slots and around the perimiter, then flip it and repeat the process. I just use a regular router and high quality wood bit and it works great. The other reason is I liked the beefy feel of the 1/4" and I never have to worry that any of the slots will crack out from stress.
I used 5052 because it has the same corrosion resistance of 6061 but is formable. 6061 has more silicon in it making it harder and it's not recommended for bending or shaping because it's brittle and can crack.

On tight 90 degree bends 6061 will crack unless annealed especially thicker plate like 1/4" but most of the bends on the plate itself are very mild. The tank rail could be made with aluminum channel cut on a taper.

my da aquamaster is awesome. i had it rebuilt by vintagedoublehose with the phoenix nozzle so i could use it on the 3000 psi bottles. of course i have newer equipment, but i started diving back in the early 70's when the double hoses were still some of the best stuff around. they're nostalgic, but the regs made today blow away those old school ones. i still use my double hose from time to time though... just for fun.

Ok, how do I get a hold of an MB MK3? I am really interested if my Royal aquamaster could be outfitted with a DIN fitting and could handle 3500 to 4000 PSI. any info would be appreciated.I know about the Phoenix. I like my Royal Aquamaster the way it is. When I dive My DH regs I do not use an SPG or a BCD. The Phoenix only offers me extra LP and HP ports. I dont really care about that aspect of the Phoenix. what interests me about the new Mistral is that a DIN can be attached to it. I have several HP 100 cuft tanks that are dedicated DIN tanks that I dive with a Poseidon. Because most of my dive buds dive the larger tanks they grumble when I show up with my steel 72's and my Aquamaster, so unless I dive alone which I do a lot, I end up diving my Poseidon Cyklon which is a great reliable reg, but I guess I just love the Double hose regs, and I think the new Mistral might be a great alternative when I dive my HP tanks. Unless there is a performance issue. I know the purists just hate the way it looks. well I dont want to sit and stare at it I want to dive it. So I am hoping to find someone who has actually used it for a while outside of a swimming pool and can give me a reliable opinion of how the beast actually performs. But I would defiantly prefer to modify my Royal if possible thanks

DIN converters can be used on both the MK-3 and the Phoenix and both are capable of 4000psi with or without going DIN.

Well, you could move to twin 72s, that should solve the problem.
N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom