Double hose regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubafanatic

Probably true....but I use what I have........the yellow hoses I had made and sold a few (DPMS rubber)...kept a few for myself....the lp hoses and HP hose (not shown in this photo) are standard off the shelf.....

Doublediver is in the Bahamas diving his unit with a DIN......he should be back soon and report how his reg faired...........there are 5 others waiting for good weather or Dan at VSS to build and ship to them. I have 9 left currently.

As Mattboy stated, a hookah port adapter and a 1 to 3 way port adapter from trident will make any DA or RAM useable with a BC inflator, octo and dry suit inflator.

For a pressure gauge you can get a banjo fitting that will work fine with any long yoked DA or RAM and if you have a short yoke you can get a reproduction long yoke at Vintage double hose.

That is where the very popular Phoenix nozzle and the more recent mossback solution come into their own.

Can you rig up one of the old double hose regs with an inflator for a modern BC?

Yes.

Hookah port adapters work great for LP aplications like power inflators, octopuses, dry suits, etc. if you are so inclined. The original Mossback adapter was machined from solid bronze and was a thing of beauty, but is no longer available. The currently available ones are reproductions of the original Mossback adapters.
Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - The Best Hookah Port LP Adapter, EVER!

However, the MB Mk3 makes the hookah port adapter and banjo obsolete. The MB Mk3 is a very nice conversion, designed by the same person who originally brought us the Mossback hookah port adapter mentioned above. Here are threads about the MB Mk3:

Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - New Multi-Port Body for AquaMaster!

Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum - Evolution

P8080059.jpg
[/IMG]
Phoenix with Octopus and Inflator on Oceanic Probe BC. I have yo be in perfect trim for it to breath well, when I am it breaths better than my Atomic Z2. Upgrading to BP/W for better can positioning.

Doublediver here, just back from Nassau. Well this may not be the correct form to review the Mossback MK3, it does sound like every one is doing a good job trying to help another join the ranks of the enlightened few. After all we need more members in our obsolete club (or so the manufactures think) and dolesorchard sounds like he's next. So just to give him and the rest of you another option to think about, here is a quick review. It worked quite well, for the first outing. I did 6 dives between 35 and 96 feet and the air delivery in all positions was very good (thank God) because at Stuart Cove's they don't believe in drift dives so even at 96' going against a 1 knot current I was never starved for air. The DM on the first boat was concerned when he saw me pull it out of my Vintage Double Hose reg bag. But once I got it hooked up and they all saw that it's got LP & HP ports they were all impressed. One last thing, I am a DIN guy and the MB MK3 is perfect for it. I will be posting a compleat review including pictures in the vintage forum soon.

P8080059.jpg
[/IMG]
Phoenix with Octopus and Inflator on Oceanic Probe BC. I have yo be in perfect trim for it to breath well, when I am it breaths better than my Atomic Z2. Upgrading to BP/W for better can positioning.

Just looking at the photo it appears that the Probe will put the cans just at the base of your neck, way too high as I assume you know. Before actually buying a BP, make sure it straps and tank bands can be adjusted so that it will ride low enough and get the crotch strap to keep it from riding up. I have been tweeking my Zeagle this week and I still do not have it just right. A BP might be widely adjustable but for a DH is is also a huge pain to adjust- dive-adjust-dive- ajust- dive. You will also likely feel like the tank is too low, hitting your legs lower than you normally are use to...if it does then you are getting close.

Yes, plates vary on how low the slots are for cam bands. Similarly, single tank adapters also vary. It tends to be something you need to address as a system as the can needs to ride low enough to give good inhalation performance, and also must ride as close as possible to your back without intefering with the plate or BC.

The freedom plate works very good in that regard, but most plates can be made to work as long as you leave the shoulder straps loose and take up the slack with the crotch strap.

Re: SPG connection

I prefer to find J and K valves that have the HP port and just install a standard hose and SPG. Sure, that pretty much means dedicating an SPG to a tank (or diddle around swapping hoses and port plugs) but that's a great tradeoff. I have this setup on an old steel 72 and I may be able to get another tank in the near future. I'll do the same thing.

One oddity of this arrangement is that the SPG is on the right hand side. This may require an additional D-ring on the BP/W waist strap.

None of this is necessary with the Phoenix. This is my preferred reg but the valve arrangement works well with my RAM and Mistral.

There are a lot of these old valves around. I have picked up several as scrap (but not free) from my LDS and a couple from eBay.

Richard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom