Double hose regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolesorchard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why doesn't anyone make double hose regulators any more? I started diving in the early 70's and bought a used doble hose and all said I was crazy. I tried a couple of single hose and hated them for a number of reasons. I stopped diving for a long time and sold my equipment. I have started diving again and hate single hose regs. The ones I have tried breath much harder than I remember the old double, and then there is the bubbles in the ears issue. I am a farmer who uses ear protection all the time and I sometimes feel like I need it when I'm diving.

This is a well-discussed topic on the vintage forum and on a site called vintagedoublehose.com

Head to those two places and you'll find plenty of doublehose peeps. BTW, if you're looking to buy something, vdh has quite a selection of restored regs, and I think one the regulator gurus here on SB wants to sell a fully restored phoenix royal aqua master, which is about the best you can get.

Why doesn't anyone make double hose regulators any more? I started diving in the early 70's and bought a used doble hose and all said I was crazy. I tried a couple of single hose and hated them for a number of reasons. I stopped diving for a long time and sold my equipment. I have started diving again and hate single hose regs. The ones I have tried breath much harder than I remember the old double, and then there is the bubbles in the ears issue. I am a farmer who uses ear protection all the time and I sometimes feel like I need it when I'm diving.

Dude, we still dive them. There is an entire cottage industry and lots of trading, horse stealing, and home making going on.

Vintage Double Hose
Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators
www.XXXXXaviationandlawnmower.com :eyebrow:

Well, two of those will work I imagine.

Can you believe it, some people actually dive with those girly mahn toy single hose jobs, good grief, what people will stoop to.

Yeah, AL needs to man up and make a real regulator, a real twin hose, not that POC vacuum cleaner junker they brought out a couple of years ago with left over parts.

N

I notice you are in Maine. There are at least a couple of divers up here that use double hose regulators on a regular basis. Actually, I haven’t use a single hose regulator in the ocean in a few years.

If you are in southern part of Maine you are welcome to dive with any time you like. I always have at least one extra Phoenix Royal Aqua master with me in case someone wants to try it.

Welcome to the board. There are a lot of us who dive the old regs and they are better than ever thanks to guys like Luis and Bryan (at vintagedoublehose). Between the new improved parts and modifications that have been made the old DH is on a comeback. My Phoenix is getting a workout this week, I am on Boniare now and diving it every day.

My Phoenix is getting a workout this week, I am on Boniare now and diving it every day.

And here I am talking about diving in Maine... I hate you. :mooner:

I am dying to get back to Bonaire (and yes, I only dove a double hose in Bonaire).

Reports of the death of the double hose regulator have been greatly exaggerated.

I have read about people using old double hose regs, but that was not my question. Why doesn't anyone make new ones?

They do, but now they are called rebreathers. But for less then 3 or 4 houndread you can pick up a reg off on the bay and rebuild it to much better then it ever was with new parts. The only problem is that like peanuts and potato chips, once you start it can be hard to stop.

TwinsandRegs.jpg

I have read about people using old double hose regs, but that was not my question. Why doesn't anyone make new ones?

Again, you can find lots of interesting discussion on this exact topic if you hunt around. I can try to summarize what I remember most of the regulars saying about this:
1. DH regs are far more costly to make; when single hose regs were introduced they were cheaper alternatives. Can you imagine what a new RAM would cost today at an AL dealer?
2. Diving has changed to include all sorts of auxiliary equipment; LP inflator, alternate 2nd, SPG. Single hose regs are very easy to configure this way.
3. Single hose regs are more idiot-proof for new divers. There's a purge button, they are not sensitive to position in the same way as doublehose, and they're less freeflow-prone on the surface, which is where OW students spend a lot of time. (I'm convinced this is a big factor in the jacket BC's popularity as well)

4. There are new DH regs being made, sort of. I think you have to consider the phoenix nozzle a "new" DH reg. If you combine that with restored cans and all the silicone replacement parts available, you're pretty close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom