Double drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about lifejackets is that no one EVER wears them on a boat. last year, we took a small boat interisland and we got into this "wraparound" washing machine random wave action. I thought we would die. I was stuffing plastic garbage bags in my pockets and making a plan with my cooler to survive. I never put on a life jacket, because they ....look stupid. I never see any one wearing a life jacket, anywhere ever. I wonder about the psychology of this. I am not condoning this at all, just noting that it happens.

catherine96821:
The thing about lifejackets is that no one EVER wears them on a boat.

i think what the pros are trying to tell us is that not wearing a PDF is a really,
really bad idea

and on the boater's side, most people probably don't know the dangers
of not wearing a PDF

this is likely due to the lack of real boater education out there (flame
at will)

Maybe it's a regional thing. I see life jackets quiet often - not many during the summer but more in the winter. It could be because people who are boating in the winter out here are seriously into boating and know the risks. I've also seen people wearing bouyant jackets - think of a winter coat that floats. I doubt many people would wear those in Hawaii however.

I seriously doubt the guys in the Coast Guard helicopter that comes to rescue you will be laughing because you're wearing a life jacket even if it is pink with polka dots.

catherine96821:
The thing about lifejackets is that no one EVER wears them on a boat. last year, we took a small boat interisland and we got into this "wraparound" washing machine random wave action. I thought we would die. I was stuffing plastic garbage bags in my pockets and making a plan with my cooler to survive. I never put on a life jacket, because they ....look stupid. I never see any one wearing a life jacket, anywhere ever. I wonder about the psychology of this. I am not condoning this at all, just noting that it happens.

Seriously, you must be joking. Who would care about cosmetics and physical presentation in a life threatening situation?

... <hiccup> beers too many methinks had you <hiccup>.

catherine96821:
Is there any advice for falling in cold water?

Yes...you want to protect your airway...

Prevention of Torso Reflex

Torso Reflex, or Inhalation Response, is an automatic physiological reaction resulting from sudden immersion into cold water. When sudden immersion takes place, the individual involuntarily gasps, which is a reflexive sucking in of air in an attempt to rapidly increase oxygen intake into the lungs. This increases the body's metabolic rate, building internal warmth in response to the cold. When the rescuer jumps into cold water with his face unprotected, the sudden urge to breathe deeply in response to the torso reflex, may cause the rescuer to inhale with the mouth underwater. If so, the rescuer inhales water rather than air into the lungs.

To prevent Torso Reflex, the rescuer should always cover his nose and mouth with his hands as he falls into the water. The rescuer should also attempt to land on the back, which also reduces facial contact during sudden immersion into the water. The action of covering the nose and mouth with the hands should be taught to all rescue personnel subject to entering cold water. This procedure should be instinctive and should be maintained until the rescuer regains a horizontal position on the surface with his face out of the water.

okay, fine. Come to Hawaii or the South Pacific and spend a week sailing around and count the life jackets you see. I spent eight years in St Thomas, sailed to the Grenadines. I am just stating that I never see any life jackets worn anywhere, for what that is worth. I know some sailers wear them at night when they are alone and underway...

Thanks, Paul, news we can use. almost like the opposite of the "dolpin reflex" it seems.

and I am agreeing with the pros. My point is that we all know better and still not a lot of people donning them.(PFD) before you can change a behavior, you need to identify why people are not compliant. So, you can say I was silly for not putting one on, but the problem is very widespread.

There is one other thing PSD’s need to be aware of and that is "Bladdafullabeer". It’s a common problem with males and leads to "Imagonnape".

Those two problems are one of the reasons we recover the majority of males with their fly down.

Gary D.

i use to work on a live aboard in the canarys it was an ex trawler 33 meters long was a big vessel we made it conpulsary that u had to wear a small gas inflated jacket at all times on board and that it was taken to your bunk at night and when they guest first arrived on the boat we would show them how to use them in an emergency.Good luck with the search and my heart goes out to the 2 famlies involved

catherine96821:
okay, fine. Come to Hawaii or the South Pacific and spend a week sailing around and count the life jackets you see. I spent eight years in St Thomas, sailed to the Grenadines. I am just stating that I never see any life jackets worn anywhere, for what that is worth. I know some sailers wear them at night when they are alone and underway...

Thanks, Paul, news we can use. almost like the opposite of the "dolpin reflex" it seems.

and I am agreeing with the pros. My point is that we all know better and still not a lot of people donning them.(PFD) before you can change a behavior, you need to identify why people are not compliant. So, you can say I was silly for not putting one on, but the problem is very widespread.

Seatbelts ... mean squat until you need one, the fraction of second before you hit something, it's way too late to put it on. Similiarly, if you are unconcious in the water san flotation you'll likely drown. Emotional discomfort from looking uncool with unmatching colors from life saving equipment is utterly moot. Coping with restriction of motion can be learned and quickly fades from memory afterwards with regular useage and practice. Not all flotation aids are big square styrofoam blocks either or yellow swimmies with Donald Duck on the side.

Gary, that is interesting. I can sure see how that could happen. Majority huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom