Double drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
Though I can see the value of posting in the public safety divers forum, I'd love to see this one get extrapolated as more details come in ... on the accidents and incidents forum.
Alot of these are fitting for both forums.

Gary D.

oh, well thats why the (?) about dragging. Interesting, I did not know why you would do it as a last resort...my friend was recovered that way in high school.
sorry to offend.

they drag with hooks? I thought it would be done with nets or something like that....that is a bit de-humanizing.....

justleesa:
they drag with hooks? I thought it would be done with nets or something like that....that is a bit de-humanizing.....
We have one of the commercial models from years past.

Basically it is an 8’ Stainless Steel bar with pads to hold it roughly a foot off the bottom. Between those pads is a series of treble hooks. When the drag passes over the body the hooks snag it and then it like landing a non-fighting fish.

We converted it years ago to a tow sled for the divers. I can’t see it ever being used to sang a body.

If I remember I’ll take a pic of it.

Gary D.

Yikes, it doesn't sound pretty at all...Thanks for the explanation :wink:

Catherine, there is an interesting book by Cpl. Robert G. Teather called "Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations" that is really informative. One word of warning, it contains graphic photos to illustrate concepts.
Ber

Ber Rabbit:
Catherine, there is an interesting book by Cpl. Robert G. Teather called "Encyclopedia of Underwater Investigations" that is really informative. One word of warning, it contains graphic photos to illustrate concepts.
Ber
I recommend that “EVERY” PSD should read this book.

There is also a correspondence course that goes along with it that will certify PSD’s as Underwater Investigators. It’s through DRI and the cost is just under a hundred bucks for everything.

A very well spent $98.00

Unfortunately the author past away last year from non-diving medical problems.

Gary D.

Ber Rabbit:
Ber

Thanks, I will. I am interested for some reason. ...I have had the mentholadem tube pulled out a couple times in my career. We used to pack our nose with it for certain things.

I am also always interested in safety for kids. Not the things the media scares us about and sensationalizes, but the real, every day dangers, like the numbers of toddlers that drown in mop buckets. And what to think about when your kids leave the house...like the boys in the canoe. Parents have a hard time accurately percieving the environment and predicting what the real dangers are.

That's the one. It is 1600 acres man made resevoir. Provides drinking water for the county. Original creekbed runs through the middle. The max depth I have found is 20 ft. Bottom pretty clean except around creekbed. Viz a about 5 feet until you muck up the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom