Double drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Not the things the media scares us about and sensationalizes, but the real, every day dangers, like the numbers of toddlers that drown in mop buckets.

Oh the image in my mind is piercing, that is such a disturbing thought, I can't believe I never heard of a single incident from this cause. As a young parent I remember proofing the house, after reading so many scare stories centered around children asphyxiating from draw string cords attached to blinds and drapes, or suffocating in plastic bags, or choking on various hazzards. But this paints such a disturbing image.

james croft:
That's the one. It is 1600 acres man made resevoir. Provides drinking water for the county. Original creekbed runs through the middle. The max depth I have found is 20 ft. Bottom pretty clean except around creekbed. Viz a about 5 feet until you muck up the bottom.
I feel for ya.

We have several, make that a bunch of 200-1000 acre shallow pain in the butts. I like deeper water for searches. Those 20' ones are just a rotton way to go, dirty water, poor vis, lots of fishing line, you name it, just a pain in the butt.

Any updates yet?

Sometimes these Terra Server photo's are a big help with searches. It's easy to use.

Gary D.

I think with kids other than being taught to swim it should be drilled to them that if they are on the water they need to be wearing the PFDs. Even if they can swim one or both could panic grabbing on to the other.

In the military we are taught to take our pants off, tie both legs in a knot, come over our head to catch air. Then tie the waist in a knot, put the legs under your arms. makes a good EMERGENCY PDF. At least till you can make it to shore. We had to try it to see it work, it does.

I am so sorry for the family of the two boys my prayers go out to them.

james croft:
<snip> I NEVER will go out in a boat without a PFD. Even if I should end up in the water and die of exposure, my body will be floating. I wear a suspender type inflatable PFD that I never even notice is there. You can get them that you activate by pulling a lanyard or one activated by getting wet.

What a wrenching task you have. Hope it's resoved soon.

Do you have a URL link to the specific brand/model of PFD you describe?

suthnbelle:
I think with kids other than being taught to swim it should be drilled to them that if they are on the water they need to be wearing the PFDs. Even if they can swim one or both could panic grabbing on to the other.
In all the years I have been doing this I have only recovered a hand full of non-swimmers. All the rest "WERE" expert swimmers. So much for experts.

Gary D.

I hear it all the time... "I was a life guard" and "I am a great swimmer I don't need a life vest" Not to trash on life guards OR great swimmers, but I have yet to see either of them swim unconscious.

death from hypothermia, don't you experience a muscle paralysis of sorts due to massive vasoconstriction? I thought the drowning was secondary to this immobilization? I wonder if a life jacket would make a difference? Is there any advice for falling in cold water?

Greg D.:
but I have yet to see either of them swim unconscious.

yep... of course, you need to buy a good jacket that will keep your
head out of water if unconscious... a lot of the cheapies at WalMart won't
(which means a good type I or II)

I hope you find them soon. As hard as it is it must be awful to never have any closure.

catherine96821:
death from hypothermia, don't you experience a muscle paralysis of sorts due to massive vasoconstriction? I thought the drowning was secondary to this immobilization? I wonder if a life jacket would make a difference? Is there any advice for falling in cold water?

A life jacket will help. Even if it doesn't prevent hypothermia it will reduce the risk of drowning.

Check out this webpage. Scroll halfway down and you will find a series of three videos showing some things you can do to survive in freezing water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom