Double D Diving in Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by ScubaCRNA
I just figured that if I get nitrox from a certified nitrox dealer then I'd get the mix I ordered.

It is common practice that the dive shop analyze the mix and label it with a sticker indicating the mix and the MOD (max operating depth) of a mix. Then it is standard practice for the diver to analyze the mix. LDS will normally provide O2 analyzer, but it is better to have your own so that the readings from two different analyzers can be compared (suppose thiers was faulty on the initial read, your second read would be faulty as well). Once the diver has analyzed the mix, the shop then has them sign off in the fill log that they are certified in the use of nitrox, and that they have received the cylinder with a XX% content of EANx.

As others have stated, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety. Just because you got ANY equipment from a 'dive professional' don't assume it is 'safe'. This is one of the best arguments I have seen for owning/maintaining your own equipment. That way there is never any question about it...

Dive safe, but dive often.

John

Mark...if you are a handy man with electronics, you can build your own O2 analyzer. This is an excellent book and the plans are in it...Oxy Hacker

I have one made from these plans and it works as well as any I've seen.

Now you've done it Dee! - Now I'll have to run off & get the book - build the analyser - then dive NitrOx every other weekend untill I know how well [or not] it works!

DaveNinja - - - Just to stay on the thread a little bit, I tend to agree that you are responsible for checking the equipment that you rent, right down to air quality & tank vis, etc... - but then I [more often than not] just grab what the store owner hands me and out-the-door!
Of course, I also have an excellent relationship with my LDS, and have pretty strong faith in whatever they'd have ready to go.... etc... I'd happily introduce you to them, but them I'm pretty sure they were closed on the 4th..
As per DD - I would think that they don't owe you a refund... but at the same time - I would refrain from giving them ANY more business unless you had no other choice..

ScubaCRNA

there should be an inspection sticker by the fill station that verifies the shop compressor's air mix content. If you don't see it ask whoever is doing the fill. Most shops I've been to are kind of proud of their on-site compressor and would be happy to discuss it way beyond your interest level on a slow day.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll definitely be more careful in the future. Hope I don't offend anyone at other LDSs because I'll be checking the stickers and hydro from now on.

I'm also considering just going out and buying a tank for me and my wife. That's the only thing I don't have yet, and it would be nice to not have to worry if the shops are open. I've heard my father say that its not as important and you can't take them with you on trips anyways. But then again, he lives in Rochester, NY where the water is never quite that warm, and I live in Texas, where the water is never that cold.

When I went hog wild over the last 4 months buying equipment for my wife and myself I purchased 2 tanks. My rationale was that If we wanted to get up and go on a day off on a whim we wouldn't have to stop and rent tanks somewhere. Thing is, I am an air hog and she could get 3 dives with one tank. So I'm thinking of getting her 2 63s and I'll have the 2 80s. Tanks are relatively inexpensive at ~$130 ea at my LDS. I like the color of them also...blue. After a dive I run by my LDS and refill the tanks so they're ready for the next whim.:bounce:

Originally posted by daveninja
Hope I don't offend anyone at other LDSs because I'll be checking the stickers and hydro from now on.

They'll be pleased to see someone as careful as they need to be [or at least, are supposed to be!

Well Mark,

Just be careful about the weight issue......a pair of 80's for you or a pair of 63's for the wife might be a bit more than either of you want to handle.

I'm something of an air-hog too......so I have a pair of Faber low-pressure 120's...although I only dive them one at a time. I think they weigh about 45 lbs each, empty.

The advantage is my local shop will fill them to whatever pressure I want (within reason)......so at, let's say 3000 psi, it will hold 136 cu. ft...and at 3300 psi it will hold 150 cu ft.

A pair of AL 80's (which are really 77 cu ft @ 3000 psi) will only hold 154 cu. ft......about the same as my Faber LP 120 @ 3300 psi......but since each AL 80 weighs about 35 lbs each.....you're looking @ lugging around 70 lbs for double-tanks plus the weight of the tank bands, which is 25 lbs or more of weight than I carry with my single LP 120 with the same amount of air.

Just something to think about..........

Karl

Oh man, I didn't mean we were gonna dive with double tanks. I meant that we'd have 2 tanks apiece for that 2 tank dive. :arrow:

Mark,

One of the best things an experienced diver can tell a new diver is that the more you dive, the lower your air consumption rate gets.

When I started 2 years ago, I was lucky to get 1/2-hour out of an AL80 tank puttering around Athens Scuba Park (max depth 25 ft).

Now with lots of dives and experience in my log book, the same tank will last me more than an hour for the same dive.

If I remember right, you and your wife were just recently certified, so having a high consumption rate is expected. But as you keep diving, you will figure out on your own little ways that will improve your diving efficiency which in turn lowers the demand for breathing.

One of the best tips is to inhale and exhale on a slow four count (In-2-3-4, Ex-2-3-4). I started doing this conciously (until it's habit) and noticed an immediate improvement in how I felt underwater and increased time from the tank.

So soon enough, you'll have other divers pointing you out that you're a fish and always exit the water with more air remaining that anybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom