Double checking doubles wing lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm putting together gear for an upcoming Intro to tech class, with AN/DP sometime in the near future, and trying to determine what size doubles wing. I played around with the Optimal Buoyancy calculator, but had to guesstimate some entries. Using 'worst case" scenario - my 5mm wetsuit, double LP 85s, with an AL80 stage, - I came up with a little over 30lbs of lift needed with my AL backplate. Does this sound right, a 40lb wing? In my area, a 40lb Halcyon Evolve is listed for $200, which is what I'd prob buy if it's still available...

Why are you using double steel cylinders with a westuit?

The LP 85s & AL80's were suggested by my instructor as doubles that would prob work for me. I'll be pairing up the AL80's to start, but I just chose the heaviest for wing lift planning. I dive a 7mm with a 5/3vest in the springs, but the 5mm is what I usually use for my FL salt dives. I don't have the money for a drysuit right now, and am prob not planning on cave diving, so it's farther down on the list of gear to buy...

40lb wing for 85s and stage is perfect.

If you aren't going to be diving in a drysuit (yet) make sure you can swim the whole rig up from depth with full tanks and also that you can maintain a 3 min safety stop at 10ft with near empty tanks.

A lot of good deals on used scuba gear in Florida. You could pick up a nice Santi or DUI in the $600-$100 range if you are on the look out.

Thank you! I'm always monitoring the used gear listings, it'd be great if a used drysuit my size came up. I'm a pretty cold diver :cool:

Yup, 40# wing should be fine.....I’m more concerned that you have no means of redundancy.......is your instructor planning on a lift bag? Curious.

I also agree that double LP85 + one stage should be good with 40lb wing with a drysuit (buoyancy doesn't change with depth). With 5mm or 7mm wetsuit, AN/DP depth, most of life from wetsuit is gone, that is easily 10-15lb. Add about 250cf of gas, that is about 20lb. Your margin is very small at the beginning of the dive with full tank and at depth.

Yup, 40# wing should be fine.....I’m more concerned that you have no means of redundancy.......is your instructor planning on a lift bag? Curious.

I also agree that double LP85 + one stage should be good with 40lb wing with a drysuit (buoyancy doesn't change with depth). With 5mm or 7mm wetsuit, AN/DP depth, most of life from wetsuit is gone, that is easily 10-15lb. Add about 250cf of gas, that is about 20lb. Your margin is very small at the beginning of the dive with full tank and at depth.

I will have a lift bag, so starting with the double AL80s should work with the wetsuit. Using a stage is still a bit up the road, but I was hoping to cover that possibility with this wing. I'm planning on renting double LP85s to try both sets for my class, but if the steels are too heavy to be safe for my wetsuit diving, it'll be the aluminum set until I find a used drysuit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom