Double bladder wing recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the market for a double bladder wing and would like to get recommendations from divers who either use them or have buddies who use them. I'm considering a Diverite Classic, Oxycheq 70# or an OMS 60#. Are there others I am overlooking?
My reason for wanting a double bladder is that although I dive dry here in Holland, I travel once or twice a year to the Red Sea and dive wet there. I'll be using double 12 liter steels and either an AL80 or 7 liter steel stage. I've read the threads outlining the pros and cons of double bladder wings and conclude that it suits my purpose.

I've examined the DSS and Golem Gear sites but they don't have and double bladder wings listed.

As always, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your reply.

Phil

A 70 lb wing is on the rather large size. It's going to be very floppy. Is there a particular reason you need so much lift? The largest wing I have is 55 lb and it will float double PST 104s, an AL80 stage and a deco bottle and have lift to spare.

I agree that 70# is larger than I need. I would prefer to have a wing in the 55-60# range, but was just looking at everything in the vicinity.

Appreciate your feedback, though.

Phil

My wife used Zeagle's Little Bertha which has 55lbs of lift. Which seems to be more in line with what you would need.

Thanks Jakub,

Doh! I didn't look far enough.

Best regards,

Phil

DutchDown:
I'm in the market for a double bladder wing and would like to get recommendations from divers who either use them or have buddies who use them. I'm considering a Diverite Classic, Oxycheq 70# or an OMS 60#. Are there others I am overlooking?
My reason for wanting a double bladder is that although I dive dry here in Holland, I travel once or twice a year to the Red Sea and dive wet there. I'll be using double 12 liter steels and either an AL80 or 7 liter steel stage. I've read the threads outlining the pros and cons of double bladder wings and conclude that it suits my purpose.

I've examined the DSS and Golem Gear sites but they don't have and double bladder wings listed.

As always, I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your reply.

Phil

Instead of getting another huge wing like that, and using steel stages AND a wet suit, why not do it a better way? -Like using a drysuit and alu stages, and perhaps the wing you already have? (I suppose/expect you are a trained D12 diver). For longer decompression dives in that very salty water, I' prefer not to use a wet suit for sure.

Hi Kompressor,

Thanks for your input, but like I said in my original post, I do dive with a drysuit in Holland. But in the Red Sea, I prefer a wetsuit. I don't go into long deco...not trained or ready for that yet. What I want is one doubles wing to use in both circumstances. I've used a Dive Rite Dual Rec wing, but it's not exactly what I want. The lift was adequate, but the tanks seemed to restrict it. I agree with you about not getting a "huge" wing. I had the pleasure of watching a diver with a 100lb wing diving double 12 liters. It was like following an enormous Spanish Dancer.

Best regards,

Phil

DutchDown:
Hi Kompressor,

Thanks for your input, but like I said in my original post, I do dive with a drysuit in Holland. But in the Red Sea, I prefer a wetsuit. I don't go into long deco...not trained or ready for that yet. What I want is one doubles wing to use in both circumstances.

So, you don't plan on going into long deco, but want to dive doubles? Is it just me, or this doesn't really add up? :)

Why not get a nice singles wing to dive singles + wetsuit and get a normal wing for doubles + drysuit?

evil_xander:
So, you don't plan on going into long deco, but want to dive doubles? Is it just me, or this doesn't really add up? :)

Why not get a nice singles wing to dive singles + wetsuit and get a normal wing for doubles + drysuit?

Hi Xander,

It's just you. :wink: No, I understand your point. Here's my rationale. I'm pretty much an air hog. I'm old and I smoke like a chimney. I want the extra time I'll get with doubles. Using Nitrox, of course. I'll likely never reach the trimix stage, but I'm doing advanced nitrox and deco procedures soon.

I do have a singles wing and use it wet and dry. But I want the added security of a double bladder wing when diving wet.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom