Double bladder question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...who did you take your class with?

Andrew Georgitsis.

He actually took all three of our dump valves off during the dive and nobody noticed until we began our ascent and it was time to dump...I guess nobody was perfectly horizontal. In some ways the ascent was easier, we didn't have to reach back to dump, just shift our bodies a little.

thank you!

Not sure if you've ever done deco in a drysuit, but it sucks; all the more so with deco bottles.
Probably it sucks if you don't know how to properly do it.

Probably it sucks if you don't know how to properly do it.
Please flame me without mercy if I am drifting too far from DIR or if I am hopelessly wrong: This was my first season diving dry, and a little investigation revealed two completely different schools of thought about buoyancy. The PADI manual (ducks!) suggested using the suit for buoyancy and the wing for redundancy.

The LDS laughed heartily and said this was because it is easier for the terminally clueless to manage one system than two, but that with practice, everyone could learn to keep off the suit squeeze with one system, manage buoyancy with the other, and learn to vent both suit and wing when ascending.

However, they also pointed out that in the case of a wing failure, you needed to know how to manage buoyancy with only the suit, so I did do some dives where I only used the wing on the surface and used the suit exclusively for buoyancy during the dive and safety stops.

I can't speak for anyone doing complex stuff with doubles or stage bottles or deco bottles or what-have-you, but if someone were to tell me that they found managing buoyancy with the suit difficult, I would ask if they had dedicated themselves to practicing it as a skill.

Call me an optimist, but I think anyone devoting five or six dives to using the suit only would be good enough to get by without worrying about needing another bladder.

What agency taught this "fundies" class? A GUE instructor allowing an 85# double wing in a class is sort of like a rabbi conducting Christmas Mass. Just doesn't fit with the philosphy at all. So, whoever taught you fundies was completely clueless and for what is possibly the first time ever, what your are learning on the internet is actually better information.

Either listen to the advice and run a search for the 500 threads on this subject in this forum or move along to a more "alternative DIR" friendly forum that will welcome you with open arms and explain the merits of adding a cage to your double 180s you need for 100' dives.

What agency taught this "fundies" class? A GUE instructor allowing an 85# double wing in a class is sort of like a rabbi conducting Christmas Mass. Just doesn't fit with the philosphy at all. So, whoever taught you fundies was completely clueless and for what is possibly the first time ever, what your are learning on the internet is actually better information.

Either listen to the advice and run a search for the 500 threads on this subject in this forum or move along to a more "alternative DIR" friendly forum that will welcome you with open arms and explain the merits of adding a cage to your double 180s you need for 100' dives.

Maybe they can also tell them how to install slob knobs............

I am also very interested to hear which GUE instructor allowed this wing in a class. I am willing to bet a lot that it was not a GUE instructor.................

Maybe they can also tell them how to install slob knobs............

I am also very interested to hear which GUE instructor allowed this wing in a class. I am willing to bet a lot that it was not a GUE instructor.................

Don't forget that the OP is the same guy who said that the salt water flows on top of the fresh in the Mexican cenotes.

We've all seen his type before on various forums over the years. Best to hit "ignore" and move on I suppose.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I thought I would be nice for a change when I initially responded because people were complaining that I was too nasty. So I thought I would try and change. Screw that. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

The PADI manual (ducks!) suggested using the suit for buoyancy and the wing for redundancy.

That is pretty much what I do....when I am diving with an AL80, the only tank considered in any PADI training. Anything more, and it becomes easier to use the wing. But yeah, with 5lbs of lift from my suit, I just deal with it.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom