Double AL80 + Horseshoe wing + SP MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess this should be a pretty combination and would like to hear some feedbacks regarding the hose routing.

I currently use a pair of APEKS DS4s/ATX50s for my backgas. Due to the short neck of AL tanks and the low profile of Halcyon manifolds, I will need to tilt my DS4 inwards thus creating some stress on the hoses of back up regulator and the inflator and making the hose routing really tight. The hoses would also press into the upper channel of my Halcyon Explorer which prevents the air on the right side of the wing shifting to the left side (when I dump air via the bottom left dump valve).

For this reason, I am considering changing my first stages in the near future. I understood that the APEKS FST would work as good. How about SP MK25? Anyone got pictures (or link to the pictures) I can take a look?

Thanks!!!

This is a different scenario, but also a tight one, two 1st stages, single tank on a horseshue wing:
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/yvalve1.jpg
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/yvalve2.jpg
http://www.inet.hr/~astancin/dss/dss_side2.jpg

In the left (picture wise) is the MK25, right is MK2+. That one sticks out, but still doesn't block the air going from left to the right side or vice versa. If there were two MK25s there, it would route easier and also be more convenient. I plan to get another MK25 sooner or later, as I see this setup (2xMK25) migrating to doubles one day...

Hope this helps. On the other hand, you are opening another can of worms regarding turreted first stages and personal opinions ...:popcorn:

MK25s have just about the prettiest routing of any first stage out there, thanks to the LP port on the bottom. However, if you plan on working on your own stuff SPs are more difficult and costly because of the specialized tools.

evil_xander:
On the other hand, you are opening another can of worms regarding turreted first stages and personal opinions ...:popcorn:
Yeah, I always liked how the turret on the DST is a "failure point" but the turret on the MK25 was OK?

:wink:

John

Since you already own the DS4's, why not just move to using a Thermo Manifold on your double AL tanks? They are ever so slightly taller and give that little bit of room required. And would be a less costly option than purchasing 2 new regs.

wunat:
I guess this should be a pretty combination and would like to hear some feedbacks regarding the hose routing.

I currently use a pair of APEKS DS4s/ATX50s for my backgas. Due to the short neck of AL tanks and the low profile of Halcyon manifolds, I will need to tilt my DS4 inwards thus creating some stress on the hoses of back up regulator and the inflator and making the hose routing really tight. The hoses would also press into the upper channel of my Halcyon Explorer which prevents the air on the right side of the wing shifting to the left side (when I dump air via the bottom left dump valve).

For this reason, I am considering changing my first stages in the near future. I understood that the APEKS FST would work as good. How about SP MK25? Anyone got pictures (or link to the pictures) I can take a look?

Thanks!!!

I use DS4s on AL80s with Halcyon manifolds in Mexico all the time. While the SPs route slightly better with Al80s and I have SPs too, I prefer Apex for back gas. The trick is to route the hoses between the wing and the tanks unlike with steel tanks where you place the wing between the reg hosess and the tank. Also, a very slight cant of the first stage, and I mean very slight, can help.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom