Dork Divers Manifesto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.R.:
Oh... also been ponderin' what D.O.R.K. could be an acronym for (... acronyms... gotta' have acronyms...). Possibles:

Divers Obcessed about Rejecting Kool-aid
Divers Doing Really Kool Stuff

Oh - Thats good! Divers Obcessed about Rejecting Kool-aid!

Maybe another contest!:rofl3:

Dave

I don't think we can be obsessed at rejecting Kool-Aid and still be DDs, wouldn't you agree? Sometimes a little Kool-Aid can be quite tasty and refreshing, as long as you don't go overboard. Of course, if you happen to mix it with a little seltzer and orange juice, it's even better. (Oh, and that usually drives koolaidian purists bonkers. :D)

frankc420:
Alka Seltzer? :confused:
Seltzer, as in plain carbonated water. I have a 5# CO2 cylinder, a CO2 regulator, and all the relevant fittings to carbonate my own beverages. I'll have to carry my kit (and some syrups) along to a dive gathering one of these days, as there's not much more refreshing on a hot summer day than freshly supercarbonated soda. (Instead of carbonating to around "3 volumes of CO2" like most commercial beverages, I carbonate to about 7 volumes of CO2. It's practically addictive. :D)

Anyway, about DORK...

Divers Oblivious to Rude Kibitzers
  • Divers: self-explanatory
  • Oblivious: "unmindful, unconscious, unaware; forgetful, without remembrance or memory" (i.e. we either pay no attention or just don't let it stay with us)
  • Rude: also self-explanatory
  • Kibitzers: "(Yiddish) a meddler who offers unwanted advice to others."

ClayJar:
Anyway, about DORK...

• Oblivious: "unmindful, unconscious, unaware; forgetful, without remembrance or memory" (i.e. we either pay no attention or just don't let it stay with us)

Ding Ding Ding - This leads the pack so far!:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Dave

ClayJar:
Seltzer, as in plain carbonated water. I have a 5# CO2 cylinder, a CO2 regulator, and all the relevant fittings to carbonate my own beverages. I'll have to carry my kit (and some syrups) along to a dive gathering one of these days, as there's not much more refreshing on a hot summer day than freshly supercarbonated soda. (Instead of carbonating to around "3 volumes of CO2" like most commercial beverages, I carbonate to about 7 volumes of CO2. It's practically addictive. :D)

Anyway, about DORK...

I only remember seltzer bottles as a delivery system for whip-its - never carbonated a thing with the one my early-20's roommate had that i recall.

My wife says I'm often oblivious, but unfortunately not to kibitzers. Maybe Obstinate to letting kibitzers detract from the dive fun would fit better, but I can't wordsmith it to fit well.

Teamcasa:
DDHF - Dork Divers Have Fun!:D

Dork Divers is dedicated to diving for fun.
Dork Divers may safely use any type or color of dive gear.
Dork Divers may wear their mask on the forehead.
Dork Divers couldn't care less if your gear cost 10x what their’s did.
Dork Divers like diving in warm tropical seas.
Dork Divers don’t care about your SAC rate.
Dork Divers don’t care about how deep you dive.
Dork Divers don’t care about Trimix.
Dork Divers don't flame posters on ScubaBoard.
Dork Divers respect the boat owner and deck hands.
Dork Divers respect the environment, both above and below.
Dork Divers smile and enjoy the day, even if the dive is called.

Dave
Having a blast!

Sorry, Dave, I can't qualify as a Dork Diver for the following reasons:

1. I dive for work, not for fun (but it is!).

2. I like diving the cool, temperate waters of our kelp forests... but do love diving warm water, especially when only a bikini is needed by my female dive buddies!

3. I care about other people's SAC rates, but only if they are diving as my buddies... but then that's why I dive solo most of the time.

4. I wish other divers didn't care about how deep I dive... I'm tired of getting lectures. Unless you pose a threat to me, I don't care how deep you (the generic you that is, not Dave specifically) dive.

5. I don't use Trimix, but I do care about it... and will undoubtedly use it in the future.

Other than that, I could qualify as a Dork Diver!

drbill:
Sorry, Dave, I can't qualify as a Dork Diver for the following reasons:

1. I dive for work, not for fun (but it is!).

"but it is!" qualifies you for dork-dom.

drbill:
2. I like diving the cool, temperate waters of our kelp forests... but do love diving warm water, especially when only a bikini is needed by my female dive buddies!

Qualified. Dork Divers can like diving cold/dark waters. I actually long to dive your kelp forests. The DD distinction is that we don't look down on warm water divers and vacation divers. So long as they are safe, we think it's okay to enjoy warm water dives (and bikinis).

drbill:
3. I care about other people's SAC rates, but only if they are diving as my buddies... but then that's why I dive solo most of the time.

Problem solved. So long as if you dive with a tank-sucking DD, you do so with compassion and have a good time, even if it's not as long of a good time as you hoped for.

drbill:
4. I wish other divers didn't care about how deep I dive... I'm tired of getting lectures. Unless you pose a threat to me, I don't care how deep you (the generic you that is, not Dave specifically) dive.

Did you hear about the Dork Diver Deep Specialty (DDDS)?:

The DD will be trained that any depth reached and returned from is the appropriate depth and therefore "deep enough". Witty retorts will be practiced for the occasional non-DD comment about their depths reached, starting with the subtle but effective slightly raised single eyebrow of skepticism. Additional replies, such as "hmmm" and "really?" can also be added. "An hour or two of deco or another dive or two, I think I'll go for the extra dives" is also appropriate.

Other Dorky Courses Detailed Here

drbill:
5. I don't use Trimix, but I do care about it... and will undoubtedly use it in the future.

So long as you have a good time using Trimix and enjoy your dives (as opposed to diving Trimix in order to brag that you use Trimix), you're in the DD safe zone!

drbill:
Other than that, I could qualify as a Dork Diver!

Qualifications established.

Back
Top Bottom