Don't Smile With A Regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daphne did quote Michael Moore, His movie has been PROVEN to be far from the truth in its presentation of material.

OK, I have to say something. Trust me when I point out that if there were "lies" in that movie, there would have been so many injunctions against it that it would NEVER have made it to the theaters. Every effort was made to keep it off the screen. Unfortunately, no lies could be found and to the screen it went. If anything could be found to keep it away from the American people, it would have never seen the light of day. Was it biased? Yes. Was it a pack of lies? Unfortunately, no.
It's too bad that people will not open their eyes. Even those who adore Bush should be able to admit that all is not well.....

Gee, let's get back to diving....I'm sorry....I digress.......

Allison Finch:
Gee, let's get back to diving....I'm sorry....I digress.......

Allison,

This thread is not the "We fawn over Michael Moore's fat, stupid body!" thread.

Obviously, you did not read the warning from the moderator.

Unless you keep your discussion to polite and useful diving subjects, you will be on "vacation" as well. :no

Cheers!

fishfreak44:
It wasn't really a certification class we just kinda took a crash corse and got in the water. I grinned and felt my regulator start to fill up with water! I didn't know that pressing the dumb button on the front would clear it out, so I panicked. I signalled the instructor that there was an emergency...She grabbed me face and we shot to the surface. (You know those beginning dive videos, they totally freak you out.) Luckilly the instructor didn't take me up until she was sure I had fully exhailed.

I just can not image that you were down 40 feet, and did not know how to purge a regulator.....

I'm not sure who to blame more, the instructor, or your parents who obviously did ZERO research on diving before allowing their children to do it without a thought...

Ron

Allison Finch:
If anything could be found to keep it away from the American people, it would have never seen the light of day.

It didn't make to my town. But Rush is on the radio everyday.

Joe

fishfreak44:
Last year on my 13th Birthday my dad took me to an inland dive spot, because he knew how much I wanted to learn to dive. It wasn't really a certification class we just kinda took a crash corse and got in the water. On my first dive ever we went down with our instructor about 40ft to the bottom of the spring to see if we could find the four, eight foot nurse sharks that dwell there. Well, we did and proceeded to pet and stroke them. It was incredible, I grinned and felt my regulator start to fill up with water! I didn't know that pressing the dumb button on the front would clear it out, so I panicked. I signalled the instructor that there was an emergency and that I needed to go up. She grabbed me face and we shot to the surface. I was sure that my lungs had exploaded. (You know those beginning dive videos, they totally freak you out.) Luckilly the instructor didn't take me up until she was sure I had fully exhailed. Needless to say I was a little lerry to go down again right away.
I'm not sure I understand and I don't doubt your word, however, I assume you were at Bonneville Seabase in Utah. They have the 8 foot nurse sharks. The area where the sharks are is only 19 ft deep and in the teaching areas the depth is 24 feet. (the Caleche' is too hard to dig any deeper) The Deep hole (now to 60 ft deep, 25 ft diameter) is off limits to new divers and does not contains sharks. If you were at Seabase, how did you know you were at 40ft?

Dang I accidentally left the scubaboard. Now how do I get back? I'll head back to New England Lobstah Divahs for a little discussion of Liberals in the Media. This post was over 6 pages ago. :eek:fftopic:

Ive only been diving twice but they told us what to do if we laugh or smile..which i kept doing cuz i was excited..i would smile/laugh then only remember to stop when my mouth had water in, there was a thing to push and pushed through the air so i did, but i was terrible, every time i tried to stop laughing and slow my breath, i would think of darth vader and his breathing and i would start again..lol i dont know how far i dove down, maybe it was 30ft..but i wouldnt have gone down without knowing little things like that..

underwater daphne:
wow, what a terrible place!

example nurse sharks (i have to translate this, so it might come out weird):

"Nurse sharks always almost sleep in the same cave, but are very sensitive to interferences. Just a small touch is enough and they will never return to the same habitat/spot ever again, although they don't react spontaneously to interference."

so whatever you do in your petting zoo is your business, but generally, if you really like marine life, you'll refrain from disturbing the animals for various reasons.

I did not know that about nurse-sharks -- enlightening :wink:

I have the policy of not touching anything, unless that touches me first. As be understood as: I do not seek to pet or otherwise interact with wildlife, but I have occationally had curious critters try to interact with me.

The most funny example I have of being interacted with was at Oahu, where I, at a respectfull distance distance, was observing a nice big sea-turtle having lunch. Busy looking at this magnificant creature, somethng bumped into me from below. I looked down, and behold.....the turtle had another turtle-friend (comming over for lunch?) whos OW-instructor forgot to teach it to ascent while looking up and holding one paw above its head :) Slightly annoyed, the turtle swam a tad forward, turned around just in front of me and looked at me with a "what the hell are you doing and why are you dressed like that you stupid git?" look, then poked/probed my mask before heading off to his buddy.

I know that these creatures are protected and that any interaction between turtles and swimmers/divers is discouraged (or even forbidden?) -- but apparantly this guy didn't know that.

voop:
I did not know that about nurse-sharks -- enlightening :wink:

I have the policy of not touching anything, unless that touches me first. As be understood as: I do not seek to pet or otherwise interact with wildlife, but I have occationally had curious critters try to interact with me.

The most funny example I have of being interacted with was at Oahu, where I, at a respectfull distance distance, was observing a nice big sea-turtle having lunch. Busy looking at this magnificant creature, somethng bumped into me from below. I looked down, and behold.....the turtle had another turtle-friend (comming over for lunch?) whos OW-instructor forgot to teach it to ascent while looking up and holding one paw above its head :) Slightly annoyed, the turtle swam a tad forward, turned around just in front of me and looked at me with a "what the hell are you doing and why are you dressed like that you stupid git?" look, then poked/probed my mask before heading off to his buddy.

I know that these creatures are protected and that any interaction between turtles and swimmers/divers is discouraged (or even forbidden?) -- but apparantly this guy didn't know that.

It appears to me, none of the replies; to the original post by the poor beleaguered teen, have come from Instructors???

Has nobody heard of "Discover Scuba"?
As the teen described it, a "crash course" provided by an Instructor, not a certification course. PADI Standards and Procedures states this course has a maximum allowable depth to 13-meters/40-feet. So, if as an uncertified diver, she went to 13-meters/40-feet with an Instructor and her father on an intro dive, she was perfectly within standards, as was the Instructor who took her. The fact the Instructor was close enough to observe (PADI Standards and Procedures stating the Instructor must have direct supervision) and give immediate assistance and acted to ensure no student injury occurred tells me all was well with this activity. The Intro to Scuba is to show prospective divers the wonders of scuba, and entice them into a certification class.

Yes, I am an Instructor.

The intro to scuba covers the most basic scuba skills, which includes mask clearing and regulator clearing/recovery.

I'm not familiar with the dive site referred to, so I can't comment on that subject.

I think it is interesting to read the posts regarding interaction with non-human lifeforms. I won't give my opinion. There were sufficient enough posts to demonstrate there are many schools of thought on this subject. Each has its validating data.

I laughed at the Hawaiian turtle story!!!!!! I can tell you personally I have encountered "wild" sealife.... hugging giant moray eels, caressing blotched stingrays, curious sharks... even a nurse shark who nosed my camera strobe a few times, backed up, and then swam right between my fins, clown fish pecking at my mask, California Sea Lions who grab your fins and tug at you and even drop small rocks onto your head and "bark" in your face to get you to play; and of course, hundreds more encounters.

As one reply noted, someone forgot to tell the wildlife the rules about no interaction.

But, smiling with my regulator in my mouth? I dunno. I usually take it out of my mouth for photo's and laughing!

I've never had a student or buddy get water in their reg from laughing or smiling, but I can imagine it quite easily!!!

Don't forget though... never hold your breath! Blow bubbles or something if you take your reg out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom