Don't need all the gear as a newbie, but... :oD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Don

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, here's my story...

I'm a brand new, freshly-certified, OW diver. When I was getting my training the question that I'm assuming is pretty routine came up: beyond the basics that we had to have to take the class (mask, fins, snorkel, booties), what other pieces of equipment should a new diver plan on getting pretty quickly?

"While your excitement to get new gear is understandable, it's really not necessary to buy a lot of stuff. Focus on diving! Get out and use various pieces of rental equipment to see what you like - and be sure you're going to dive for the long term before you invest a bunch of money."

See, that makes sense. I promptly made a note and decided to follow that advice.

Then again, it *would* be nice to have my own dive computer so I had a device that would maintain an electronic log of my dives that I could then transfer to my logbook later. I should get one of those. Then again, no reason to buy a cheapo one that I'll just want to replace soon after getting certified. So... purchase #1, before I even hit the lake to do my cert dives:

1. Shearwater Peregrine dive computer

I really liked diving, but the idea of a previously used rental wetsuit just gives me the creeps. I know everybody else needed to warm up in it, too... I should probably buy a wetsuit if I'm going to dive some more...

2. 3mm wetsuit from the clearance table at the LDS. (Got it home and it didn't fit right, so I'll hang it in the closet until I lose a few more pounds. In the meantime, I still need a wetsuit, so order one from Amazon...)

Now that I think about it, particularly in the cold and when I was really fatigued, it became kind of a struggle at times to breathe well through that rental regulator. Probably not surprising... those rental units are undoubtedly built to be tough and durable more than to provide easy breathing. I bet I'd enjoy diving more with a higher end regulator. And if you think about it, the idea - particularly during a time of pandemic - of putting a piece of gear in my mouth that somebody else had in *their* mouth is kind of gross. I don't know how well these are sanitized. I should probably buy a regulator...

3. Off to deep6gear.com to buy me a regulator set (Signature Series single tank package...)

You know, those guys on ScubaBoard keep talking about how great diving with a backplate and wing is compared to a vest style BCD. I don't need to buy one right now, of course, but if I go try one out at the LDS pool, that will give me an excuse to get in the water with my fancy new regulator and see how I like it once I start breathing through it. (It's really nice... I quite like it, though I don't know that it will every pay for itself in avoided rental fees...)

Wow... trim and buoyancy really *are* more intuitive and simple with a BP/W. I wonder if the LDS has any good deals I could take advantage of if I *were* in the market for such a setup - which, of course, I'm not...

4. Zeagle Stainless Steel backplate
5. 30 lb Donut Bladder
6. Deluxe harness
7. Two Cam Straps
8. Zeagle Power Inflator
9. Zeagle Backplate pad and crotch strap

So, this is how it's gonna be, huh? :D

Well, like I said at the beginning, there's no reason to buy a tank early on in my diving career... :whistling:

(And now I need to go out and *use* all this gear... But first I should probably go buy my understanding wife some flowers... :flowers:)

:clearmask:
:spend: :rofl3:

But first I should probably go buy my understanding wife some flowers

How about getting her the same gear you just scored?

Apart from the wetsuit shrinkage that's some nice stuff. Now... get diving!

How about getting her the same gear you just scored?

Good advice - but she's not going to be getting started with scuba anytime soon for a variety of reasons, so flowers it is...

Good advice - but she's not going to be getting started with scuba anytime soon for a variety of reasons, so flowers it is...

Trust me, flowers are not going to cut it. Get her a motorcycle.

I liked the order in which you addressed the gear. It made sense to me. And you waited until after you were certified and had at least tried some rental gear. I rented gear for a while after getting certified, but I was poorer and it was decades before covid-19. I would neither discourage nor encourage someone in your position to continue to rent gear.

By the way, change that "# of Dives" in your profile from "none--not certified" to "0-24" or whatever the first option is. Kudos!

My first purchase was a dive computer, so I think that's a good choice. IMO, it's better to have at least one of your own so that you know how to use it.

My husband and I went on one dive trip after getting certified where we used rental gear (except for our masks, boots, and fins. The rental gear at one shop was great....the other shop we went to, well...there were issues. That was in January 2020. Last fall when travel started to reopen, we booked another dive trip and hustled off to our LDS to purchase all of our gear. I like knowing the condition and care of the gear I use. Plus, I always know how much lead I need because I'm always using the same basic gear, give or take a small item or two.

Also, don't forget the small things. I find a good dive light to be essential. I carry two for each of us when we travel so that we always have backups in case of failure and, of course, redundancy for night dives and cavern dives. (Mostly for cavern dives because night diving freaks me out a bit...I don't have great night vision.) I also carry an SMB with a reel. I also have a small, blunt tip dive knife just in case of entanglement, but more for cutting line when I come across it. Don't get me wrong, I don't carry every single thing with me on every dive. I bring it all with me though so I have what I need for a particular dive.

The only other thing that comes to mind immediately is a small save-a-dive kit. I have a small kit that I store in a Stasher reusable silicone storage bag (easy to travel with). That kit has saved me a few times now - twice with having the appropriate mini screw drivers so that I could change my Oceanic computer batteries and twice when I got tanks with bad o-rings.

Don, for me, reading your post was like looking in the mirror.

Rabbit hole, here we come...

Trust me, flowers are not going to cut it. Get her a motorcycle.

LOL. Well, I know she doesn't want a motorcycle.

On the plus side for her, I'm going to be looking for excuses to go dive in different places, so she's probably going to get some beach vacations out of the deal as time goes on.

More importantly, I married a saint... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom