Donning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK so we got all this gear. How does everyone get it put together? Let hear some ideas. For example when donning on a boat do you leave everything semi clipped off then re-clip after routing the hoses or do you leave everything unclipped then clip off after the harness is on?

CALI68:
OK so we got all this gear. How does everyone get it put together? Let hear some ideas. For example when donning on a boat do you leave everything semi clipped off then re-clip after routing the hoses or do you leave everything unclipped then clip off after the harness is on?

This is like me a few years ago. Do all the searches, get some stuff, fire off some questions. Assemble the rig, fire off more questions. Get some more gear, fire off some more questions. I am totally enjoying your journey probably as much as you are!

OK - for boat diving, the crotch strap is your friend. I rig up onto my Cylinder when I get on the boat. Light, regs, the whole 9. Clip off light head and long hose reg to right D-ring, SPG to left hip ring. I drape the necklace over the 1st stage.

I then put the cylinder into its holder over the bench. From there, I can take the long hose and light cord and fold them and hold them in place against the BP with the ACB, bring up the crotch strap and run it up the center of the BP and loop over the 1st stage and it sort of holds it all together.

It makes a neat, narrow package that keeps everything off the deck and off the bench. So when the guys on either side some in, they're not setting their tanks on my hose or SPG, etc.

When its time to dive, I pull the tank from the holder to the edge of the bench and unwrap this neat package. The reg, SPG and light are clipped off and ready to rock.

I sort of squat down in front of the rig, put both arms thru the straps and just basically stand up into it. Lean a bit forward, reach under for the crotch strap and strap up. Don the necklace, unclip the long hose and route it, grab my fins and mask and head to the gate.

K

Mo2vation:
I rig up onto my Cylinder when I get on the boat. Light, regs, the whole 9. Clip off light head and long hose reg to right D-ring, SPG to left hip ring. I drape the necklace over the 1st stage.

I then put the cylinder into its holder over the bench. From there, I can take the long hose and light cord and fold them ahd hold them in place against the BP with the ACB, bring up the crotch strap and run it up to and loop over the 1st stage and it sort of holds it all together.

It makes a neat, narrow package that keeps everything off the deck and off the bench. So when the guys on either side some in, they're not setting their tanks on my hose or SPG, etc.

When its time to dive, I pull the tank from the holder to the edge of the bench and unwrap this neat package. The reg, SPG and light are clipped off and ready to rock.

I sort of squat down in front of the rig, put both arms thru the straps and just basically stand up into it. Lean a bit forward, reach under for the crotch strap and strap up. Don the necklace, unclip the long hose and route it, grab my fins and mask and head to the gate.

K

This is also me to a T except i use a weight belt instead of the ACB weight pouches.

Also for you hot rod buffs, monterey is having some sort of car show this weekend and there are rods everywhere. Kinda sucked for us as we could only stay the night thursday as we couldnt get a motel for friday night for under 300 bucks. Its amazing how the rooms sky rocket everytime there is a function going on.

Setting up gear:

Wing and backplate on tanks. run argon bottle into BP holder if using argon. Light on harness, lighthead clipped off to right d-ring. buckle run through crotchstrap and then waist strap through buckle. Check isolator. Regs on tanks, hoses charged when 1st stages in desired position. Gas pressure verified with anlysis sticker and SPG clipped to waist d-ring. long hose coiled up and clip run through backup reg's bungee and clipped to left d-ring. Analyse gas and verify with analysis sticker.

Rig up any stage bottles, charge and verify gas contents.

Dive prep:

Get in drysuit up to waist. Get rockboots on [tighen laces, cinch drawstring keeper, wrap laces around ankle clockwise, beyond drawstring keeper and run under the loop. tuck laces down under the crosses and back up so that the extra lace is secure and not dangling].

Take KY out of mask case and put in right pocket. get mask and defogger from mask case, defog mask, return defogger in max box. Put mask in fin pocket. put gloves in other fin pocket, and place fins with hood.

Put drysuit on, place KY back in mask case. rinse mask. unhook bungees securing tanks to boat, turn on gas, check isolator. replace bungees so they are just wrapped around valve knobs. Unhook harness buckle and spread waist straps. extend crotch strap and lay straight out on seat. put drysuit hose end between corrigated hose and inflator hose of wing. clip reel to left waist d-ring.

Check drysuit zipper. squeeze suit. Check valves.

left arm in harness to the point that the dump valve is through. right arm in harness. grab drysuit hose from where I stuck it between the corrigated and inflator hose, run under left arm and under harness webbing and hook up. Grab fins and hood and place on bench next to me. grab crotch strap, squidge back in seat, grab waste straps, thread crotch strap, tighten waist strap. Put on hood. unclip primary reg, get backup reg and put around neck. unravel primary reg, verify not tangled, run behind wing tuck under light canister, make loop and flip over head. clip reg off. Put mask on head backwards. Unclip light, make sure light cord isn't entangled. clip back. get bottom timer from right pocket. place on right arm. put left glove on. get computer from pocket and place on left wrist. get compass from pocket and place on left arm if not doing a wreck dive. close right pocket. put on right glove. reach back and slide bungees of valve knobs. check valves, check isolator. test drysuit inflation. test wing inflation. put on fins. put on mask. unclip SPG while testing backup reg, verify gas pressure, replace SPG. check if buddy ready.

Go to entry point. Check valves and isolator if anyone touches them. unclip primary. verify hose is clear. place back over head, test reg. Use elbows to check volume in wing and adjust if necessary. Jump in.

When getting out. remove fins. remove mask and place on lighthead. remove hood. unroute long hose, remove backup reg, coil longhose and clip through backup bungee and hood. right glove comes off, computer comes off and goes in pocket. left glove comes off, bottom timer goes in pocket. unhook drysuit hose and stick between inflator hose and corrigated. unbuckle harness and wrestle out. gloves stuck in fin pockets. get ky from mask box, get out of suit, return ky to right pocket.

Or something close to that. I'm not anal. :wink:

edit: actually yea... I probably am that anal. And god forbid someone talks to me at any time other than between paragraphs.

Spectre:
edit: actually yea... I probably am that anal. And god forbid someone talks to me at any time other than between paragraphs.

This is so true! Do not vibe my flow.

K

Mo2vation:
This is so true! Do not vibe my flow.

K

"Do not vibe my flow"!!!! Hillarious!!

This thread should go on the vault. Thanks alot you Guys! Big help. Mo2Vation's got me pegged. :) Evertime I get something new I run right to the computer.

Spectre and Mo2Vation Great posts! YOU rock!

Oops! found a new problem (Mo2Vation this should entertain you) :)

I have the sweet Argon Rig now (DS4, PRV, Small Gauge, stylin' yellow 6CF Bottle all tightened up with those wildly overpriced but seriously cool Halcyon Straps) All is good in the hood but now my Dry Suit hose is way too long!!!! I know I can loop and tuck but can I send THAT hose out for a snip? Does anyone know any hose modification people?? The DUI hose has a rockin' "attacher" (?) and I'd like to use that one ya know?

Any ideas?

Spectre:
Take KY out of mask case and put in right pocket. get mask and defogger from mask case, defog mask, return defogger in max box. Put mask in fin pocket. put gloves in other fin pocket, and place fins with hood. <SNIP>

Put drysuit on, place KY back in mask case. get ky from mask box, get out of suit, return ky to right pocket. <SNIP>

Twice you take out the KY jelly and then put it back. Is it just a good luck charm or is it used for something? hehe

PS: I haven't dove a dry suit so if it's used for something to do with that I apologize. I was just wondering what it's for.

Kriterian:
Twice you take out the KY jelly and then put it back. Is it just a good luck charm or is it used for something? hehe

PS: I haven't dove a dry suit so if it's used for something to do with that I apologize. I was just wondering what it's for.

It makes donning latex seals much easier and it's cleaner than having white powder (talc) all over the place.

You can't win with the stuff that helps get the latex seals on. If you have a little bag of white powder..you get Sh*##t and if you bust out the KY you get the kinda stuff you're throwin' down. :)

CALI68:
I have the sweet Argon Rig now (DS4, PRV, Small Gauge, stylin' yellow 6CF Bottle all tightened up with those wildly overpriced but seriously cool Halcyon Straps) All is good in the hood but now my Dry Suit hose is way too long!!!! I know I can loop and tuck but can I send THAT hose out for a snip? Does anyone know any hose modification people?? The DUI hose has a rockin' "attacher" (?) and I'd like to use that one ya know?

It doesn't give you the funky flange on the end, but I found the inflator hose for my singles rig was the perfect size. So I harvested that one until I could get out and replace the hose on my singles.

It'll work in a pinch :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom