donald trump developement in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Last week a planned 300 million dollar developement in the north end of Cozumel was announced. It would extend from Mesaclitos upto the north tip of Cozumel creating a developement for "personas de alto poder adquisitivo." (lets just say for the very wealthy.) It could include upto 400 new hotel or condo rooms, golf courses marina, air strip etc. What this will do to the environment is too scary to imagine. First step will be to change environmental laws which protect this zone for the time being. The current mayor of Cozumel is pushing this project. The story has not been reported in the states so far.

You can see one report at this link (its in Spanish). http://www.arquired.com.mx/boletin/shwClipping.ared?kID=363b232b

Augustus:
Last week a planned 300 million dollar developement in the north end of Cozumel was announced. It would extend from Mesaclitos upto the north tip of Cozumel creating a developement for "personas de alto poder adquisitivo." (lets just say for the very wealthy.) It could include upto 400 new hotel or condo rooms, golf courses marina, air strip etc. What this will do to the environment is too scary to imagine. First step will be to change environmental laws which protect this zone for the time being. The current mayor of Cozumel is pushing this project. The story has not been reported in the states so far.

You can see one report at this link (its in Spanish). http://www.arquired.com.mx/boletin/shwClipping.ared?kID=363b232b

Any comment I would have would be filtered by the software and might get me banned from the 'board... ;^(

Here's the (always amusing) babelfish translation of the linked article:

Cozumel Invertira' Donald Trump 300 will nvertirá Donald Trump 300 mdd in Cozumel Millenium Tuesday 23 of January of the 2007, City of Mexico, D. F. - The real estate tycoon Donald Trump goes now by a "small kingdom" inside of the Mexican island of Cozumel, for as she tries an investment near the 300 million dollars and to integrate more exclusive the tourist residential complex of the zone, in a project that she inside tries to be "an island of an island". The intention, according to the project presented/displayed in Fort Lauderdale on the part of municipal president of Cozumel, Gustavo Ortega Joaquin, Trump and other investors tries to establish a destiny "of tourism of luxury and standard stops", in a virgin beach site and conditions of less agglomerations than those of Cancún, being tied in addition archaeological sites like the found ones by Courteous Hernán when I touch earth in the datum point pre-Hispanic way like Cuzamil. The mayor recognized that he presented/displayed in Florida an investment scheme like which they are used in other tourist centers of the world to catch tourism of first level and that the most interested in that investment, that he tries to make "an island within the island" was indeed the Trump multimillionaire. This project includes commercial centers, navy, exclusive golf course, mansions and hotels Ortega Joaquin confirmed that in addition to his meeting with Trump it was with executives of company EDSA, person in charge of the construction of tourist developments in the Palm, in Dubai; Atlantis, in Bahamas, and White CAP, in Dominican Republic. In a zone of Cozumel where the density of construction is null, an area that until now has stayed half-wild, is where Trump tries a real estate investment with hotel developments, of condominiums, two golf courses and restricted access which it includes ways, deprived runways and wharves, destined to the benefit of people of high spending power. The project will be located on lands that belonged to the industralist yucateco Fernando Barbachano Go'mez-Rul, recently passed away, who never could develop them because the plans of ecological ordering of the island prohibited it. The lands that were of Fernando Barbachano Go'mez-Rul, go from the zone of Xpalbarco beach, near Mezcalitos, to the known Mayan vestige like the Real Castle, where it is now tried to construct megadesarrollo hotelkeeper of several hundreds of rooms. Or previously Trump initiated action relatings to real estate in Mexico, as in the case of the nautical stairs or the condominiums, next to the international line that at the moment constructs in the area of Tijuana, Baja California. The project in Cozumel according to provided information, is of levels similar to the one of White CAP in Dominican Republic, where the Great Destiny the World has been reversed to 300 million dollars in the integral development of more exclusive the residential tourist complex "of the area, known as, whose intention is to present the Republic Dominican as a standard destiny of tourism luxury and stops", something that also is tried for the island in the Mexican Caribbean. (Millenium - Daniel Barquet)

In the mangled words of Roman Moroni: Why you miserable cork-sucker! You fargin sneaky bastage. I'm gonna take your dwork. I'm gonna nail it to the wall. I'm gonna crush your boils in a meat grinder. I'm gonna cut off your arms. I'm gonna shove 'em up your icehole. Dirty son-a-ma-batches!

I read about this two weeks ago. Sad. Very sad. I just can't see the people who will be attracted to this development spending any of their time or money at the local establishements. They'll have their $1M + condos and homes, the yacht marina, private tennis and golf clubs, probably a few member-only restaurants and bars. Doubt they'll support local business and, after construction, how many jobs will this really create?

The environmental destruction that will take place will have a further reaching effect on the island then just destroying natural beauty. Will SEMARNET be paid off to approve the plans with no consideration for the environmental implications?

I guess for the right price, everything is for sale.

Maybe he'll name it the RosialitO Loco :bandit_2:

Dam-n that sucks. I like Coz being that small little quiet island I can go run off to. Why couldn't he just have built it in the already crappy Cancun?

There goes the neighborhood :( Dive Cozumel while we can.

From Live In Cozumel: http://www.cozumelmexicohomes.com/blogs/cindy_trautwein/archive/2007/01/18/donald-trump-cozumel.aspx
Donald Trump - Cozumel

News today is a bit critical of our mayor, Gustavo Orgega Joaquin, today for his promotion of a mega development in zones heretofore prohibited to any construction.

The government of Gustavo Ortega Joaqu -the mayor obsessed by changing the present face al Cozumel -, has promoted successfully these lands among powerful foreign investors and has offered them something already in motion: the modification of the plans of ecological codes to permit in that and in other areas, constructions that for the present, are totally outsid of the law.

The project is to be located on lands owned by deceased businessmand Fernando Barbachano, who never could develop them because the plans of ecological codes of the island prohibit this.

Seeking an investment from a real estate agency that intends to create hotel developments, condominiums, two golf courses with access restricted that includes roads, landing strips and private piers, destined to the enjoyment of people of high purchasing power that, theoretically, would return to the island because of these works.

The main invited investor to this, the pharaohs project in the east side of the island, is the millionaire acquaintance Donald Trump, one of the icons of the business world of the eighties and a vision of the "yuppies" of the world; known above all for his public life, his problems with women, his galloping conservatism and present participation in a "reality show" where he gets to tell, "you're fired" to the participants that go leaving the program.

Posted on Wahoo Tours

From CozumelMyCozumel: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=110&topic_id=9643&mesg_id=9643
East Side Development Story Continued. Guadalupe Leaps into the fray"

written by Rafael Acevedo Alvar for the newspaper, Por Esto. Translated by Carey

The mega project that they want to construct on the island's east side represents the destruction of an area of ecological frailty which is how the land found itself protected by environmental laws in the first place. POET, the Ecological Ordinance plan, was created in 2002 precisely to protect and defend cozumeleños's natural heritage.

The president of the association Heaven, Earth and Sea, Guadalupe Alvarez Chulim, stated that the area is protected by the ordinance which means that Mayor Gustavo Ortega along with the businessman Donald Trump who are forging an alliance for a project projected to cost more than 300 million dollars may not be built here.

Ms. Chulim indicated that one of the reasons a development cannot take place here is that ever since the island was made this area has always been the place where the sea turtle have come to lay their eggs. In the old days when turtles abounded, the Mayan used to roast the eggs and salt the meat and sell it in town. It is also an area of swamps, mangroves, coastal dunes, lagoons and Mayan vestiges where chit palms, sea grapes, ciricote, guano, lillies and the rest of the groundlings grow that are only now recovering after the destruction of two hurricanes.

She indicated that since Quintana Roo became a free and sovereign state there had been five governors and 10 mayors and not one of them has ever before threatened the natural patrimony of the island. This is the only mayor in Cozumel's history that has threatened our natural heritage in this way

"Our mayor forgets that this zone is protected by our laws forever", she continued and instead is treating cozumel's heritage as a piece of his personal property that can be offered to the highest bidder."

The present-day mayor, Gustavo Ortega Joaquín, and some members of his town council are traitors to their community, she stated. He and members of his council are only interested in the 300 million dollars that will reportedly be invested in that development, forgetting that they are our representatives and they are violating our laws if they try to go through with this project.

She added that she hoped the aldermen investigate first how much such a project would destroy the fauna and flora which apparently would be replaced instead with hotels, fancy villas for millionaires, golf courses, marinas and a private airport among other things.

Carey on Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom