Domestic airfare with scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back from Sarangani and Davao Dive

Sept 13 via PAL to GenSan
Checked in all my dive gears, hand carried my clothes and laptop
15kilos allowed only (my reg is a stainless steel usdivers)
no wet suit

Sept 21 from Davao via PAL to Manila (got extra 5 kilos free)
checked in all my dive gears, 2kilo pomelo, 3 kilos mangoesteen, durian candies, durian tarts, durian polvoron, durian macaroons, durian pie, durian ect.

hand carried my laundries and laptop.

As long as none of your carryon are too big, you can get thru fine with a laptop bag or a camera bag or both. They don't really weigh or measure it unless it looks suspiciously overweight.

Earlier this year when I flew with Cebu Pacific from Manila to Coron & return I was allowed a 7kg hand luggage allowance plus I could also take a laptop bag and a small camera bag. I am returning again early next year & I have already booked my flights, but now when I look on the Cebu Pacific site I can't find any info regarding a laptop or camera bag - it just says one 7kg piece of hand luggage.
Can someone please check this out for me, I have tried to e-mail Cebu Pacific but I have never yet had a reply from them (didn't get any replies last year either).

As long as none of your carryon are too big, you can get thru fine with a laptop bag or a camera bag or both. They don't really weigh or measure it unless it looks suspiciously overweight.

Great, thanks for your reply. Couldn't find the info this time on their web site.

actually i hate their ground stewards also. so i never attempt (again) to reason with them because they don't possess any and it just stress me out.

I flew back in late July from MNL to BKK, did not register my luggage and did not do the sportmans' gig, I was in a hurry, cost me nearly US$200 in extra luggage, and they and had no mercy, they are a rather 'half ass' operation. Then flew Air Asia from BKK to KL and then to Kota Bharu, minimal charges and nice staff!

Hello Everyone,

If anyone has an large amount of gear they are taking with them around the Philippines you can always send it as cargo with several of the airlines. It has been over a year since I have done this, so I don't know the exact prices anymore. However, it was around 50 Pesos or $1 USD per kilo. You can take it to the airline office at the domestic airport in Manila (SEAair and Zest Air). Cebu Pacific is out of Terminal 3 and I don't know their procedures.

The only downside is that the gear may arrive at a different time then you do. Not a problem if it arrives earlier as you can pick it up when you arrive, you may want to try to send it the night you arrive to Manila or the morning before your flight. If you try to check it in at the same time you check yourself in, it will arrive after you. Most resorts that are close to your destination will have a runner or employee that can pick it up for you from the airport (if the airport is within a reasonable distance of your hotel) that day. Or if they make regular trips to pick up guests, they may be able to get it the next day.

Hope this helps someone. Let me know if anyone needs and current details as i will be travelling to Bohol next week and can check if needed.

Dave

We book "cargo seats" on SEAAIR all the time, its roughly 1/2 the price of a normal fair and is good for 50kg of weight. We have 4 divers with a mix of rec and tech gear so we've been at 100kg of stuff a couple of times and 150kg once :shocked2:

Its been tricky a couple of times as not all their agents know how to do this, pm me and I'll send you a direct contact who we work with now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom