Doing it Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the DIRF class the see what all the hype is about and decide whats right for me. Right now I've adopted some gear config from DIR and the REC divers to config what I believe is the best setup for the kind of diving I will be doing. There are good points to both sides but for me I'm in the middle here. 5' hose, bungee backup, wrist mount computer and compass, SPG, and oh no its not a BP/wing but the Seaquest Balance. But on the other hand if I was doing tech diving I would more than likely go the DIR way it just seems to be the safest way to go for overhead environments. But IMHO not necessary for OW dives but would obviously be just fine.

Just my .02 cents

1. I'm a republican so anything I do tends to lean twords the right.

2. If I change my diving style I'd go DIR.

3. I also wouldn't fit into a left program because I have one of those bulky tech style back inflate BC's with 50 lbs of lift.

4. Don't care for Yoga or meditation it's a bit to much for my conservative being.

5. If I need to relax I have a brain numbing TV and a comfy couch.

6. I go diving to get over the stress of normal life I can't think of anything more relaxing than diving and not sure why it should cause me stress.

7. I dream of one day becoming an elite member of something so it may as well be diving cause I don't think I make it into the ranks of people like Hurst, Gates or Trump etc.. etc..

8. I like the look that people get when you sneek up and turn off there air besides it good to practice OOA and if it's unanounced it's more realistic. (trolling: I would never turn off someones air)

9. If it's too stressfull to practice a drill in a controled enviroment then Im not sure I want to dive with that person.

10. DIL is what pickles are for

Geek

Doing it Lightweight

This should appeal to a wide variety of people who can't stand the excrutiating pain of wearing a BP, can't manage the demanding task loading of strapping something on their wrist, and find that any instruction requiring more than tuition and a pulse to be frightening.

The chances of DIL generating any interest beyond this thread is nil.

to Lazy. :wink:

I am not a technical diver, but I am reading the DIR F manual and intending to do the class in a couple of months. Learning safer, more intelligent ways of doing things by applying the lessons learned by those who went before you has always made sense to me. I don't think that I could be a proponent of the "Learn By Floating Around" method.

:tease:

Blue Space once bubbled...
Take the DIRF class the see what all the hype is about and decide whats right for me. Right now I've adopted some gear config from DIR and the REC divers to config what I believe is the best setup for the kind of diving I will be doing. There are good points to both sides but for me I'm in the middle here. 5' hose, bungee backup, wrist mount computer and compass, SPG, and oh no its not a BP/wing but the Seaquest Balance. But on the other hand if I was doing tech diving I would more than likely go the DIR way it just seems to be the safest way to go for overhead environments. But IMHO not necessary for OW dives but would obviously be just fine.

Just my .02 cents

I hope you've signed up for a class already. After June, your Seaquest Balance will not be an option for the class. Full DIR configurations only.

leadweight once bubbled...
Doing it Left is a new concept in improving recreational diving. The central theme of DIL is that solutions to diving problems are mainly based on improving the diver rather than the diver’s equipment.

Hahahaaa!!! That's funny...

But it sounds just like DIR... (There's very little focus on equipment.)

DIL is also conservation oriented and supports efforts to preserve the world’s coral reefs and marine life.

"Just like DIR, only better." :)

For the DIL diver, the ultimate skill is total relaxation in the water. This is the key to perfect buoyancy, trim and low air consumption.

...Just like DIR...

A new BC is not necessary to achieve these goals. It is relaxation that allows a diver to realize that extra weights are not needed to get to the bottom and stay there.

...Just like DIR. (You can take DIR-F in anything you like... Even a poodle jacket, but you'll probably come to the conclusion that you need a bp/wings on your own.)

Relaxation and moving the weight around a bit gives perfect trim and buoyancy. Lower air consumption is mostly the result of relaxation. A relaxed diver will even fin more efficiently. How do you get there? It helps to dive a lot. However, no training agency that I know of directly deals with this issue.

Sounds like someone's filled you full of ideas about GUE that aren't true. Whatever the issue, my suggestion is to look at DIR yourself... For real... And see what you find. I think you'd be floored at what the truth is...

Perhaps we need a specialty in the Zen art of diving.

Careful. You're getting awfully close to "religion." :D That said, isn't that the whole point behind the idea of "holistic" diving? There's only one agency I know of who preaches that...

DIL supports efforts to allow solo diving. No diver should be forced to dive with a bad buddy.

Why not take it one step further and just pool together all of the world's best divers from which to choose?

Furthermore, at depths of less than 60 feet DIL believes that a redundant air supply is not necessary to dive solo.

You mean as in, "no secondary?" Wouldn't it be more of a pain to take it on and off all the time, every time you go past 60 ft? Why not just find a good way to stow it so that it's not a pain in the neck?

Although DIL does not advocate a standard gear configuration we do have a few objectives in this area. DIL believes that all recreational diving should be done with the assistance of a dive computer.

So far, this is the only difference that I see between DIR and DIL. Where DIL says, "you should dive with a computer," DIR says, "use your brain." I find that having a computer as a backup is acceptable, although I'm finding it a pain in the neck.

Certainly DIL does NOT say, "DON'T use your brain," so there doesn't seem to me to be a whole lot of difference between DIR and DIL here, despite the fact that initially, they seem very different.

The use of alternative second stages that are attached to the BC inflator is strongly discouraged. DIL believes that both back inflation and jacket BC’s are acceptable, but strongly recommends against purchasing bulky extended range back inflate BC’s with 50-pound (or more) capacity wings.

My bet is that if you took this a little further and dove "DIL" for a couple of years, you'd develop a slight twist to this statement above... You'd feel exactly the same about bulky wings, but then additionally come to the conclusion that the bp/wings are a better setup than jackets... For the same "bulk" reason.

...And then there'd be no difference between DIR and DIL again.

DIL supports all efforts to preserve and improve the oceans. All whaling should be stopped. We advocate changing poor environmental practices on land that produce runoff that is destroying coral reefs. Commercial fishing practices must be reformed or else there will be no fish left soon. DIL is opposed to spearfishing while using scuba. If you like to spearfish do it the ethical way and learn to freedive. Divers should not remove anything from wrecks. Leave it in place so the next diver can enjoy it.

...Sounds like DIR again.

Which is a good thing... :)

Left-handers ARE second class citizens. Its because of your powerful lobby car door latches are now pull up instead of push button. I miss those chrome monsters.

As a righty with two leftie parents, I write with the craw...right hand hidiously deformed, smearing the ink as I write. No doubt a futile attempt to mimic my parent's back-assward writing style - I'm confident its a sick, pathetic outreach for the approval that never came from them.

* Sniff *

My entire life has been spent dealing with the shame and humiliation as teachers, students, co-workers and strangers first look, turn away, then stare, mouth agape, at my repulsively deformed pen grip - as they all say, under their breath, the same thing...

"...I never realized Ken was a leftie..."

I'M NOT A LEFTIE...THE PEN IS IN MY RIGHT HAND, YOU MORONS...

The horrified faces of the unfortunate souls forced to gaze upon my repugnant grip will haunt me to my grave. I owe this twisted grip to only one source...my two leftie parents. It's them I lothe, and I have sworn an oath to stamp out all that is left handed. I freely discriminate and oppress all lefties, as it was members of your ranks who have caused me this life of pain.

Doing If Left? Please. I wish only ill of you, Leadweight and all who consider such a system.

In my right mind I remain -

Ken

you are right about the "huge disconnect" and I think you have a DILly of an idea on your hands.

Great diving does NOT have to be ultra-regimented.

Great divers should be relaxed and comfortable.

I've been in contact with MHK who will be one of to instructors for the class. I sent him the list of gear I will have which he said will be fine.

SeaJay once bubbled...

...Just like DIR. (You can take DIR-F in anything you like... Even a poodle jacket, but you'll probably come to the conclusion that you need a bp/wings on your own.)

Not any more. Per the new standards you must be in bp/wing, long hose, no split fins and you know the rest.

I can't wait to see the class under the new standards. With the class resulting in certification you'll have to nail the skills to get the card. It won't be enough to spend two days trying. IMO two days will not be enough for many divers unless they lower the mark.

Back
Top Bottom