http://www.diveheart.org/

Dogs should not be used as bait...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markrob:
Apparently, the people who caught that shark in Vanuatu were using a live dog as bait! I'm not a member of Peta or anything but that's just not right. You can sign this petition to help end it.

petition here

or read the story here
Um ... read the article again.

First off, nowhere did it say the dog was alive.

Second, it was the locals ... not the folks who caught the shark ... who had used the dog for bait.

Finally, we're talking about a tiny island in the South Pacific here ... not downtown Manhattan. These folks don't, and shouldn't be expected to, adhere to the social and ethical norms of western white folks.

I really don't think ScubaBoard is the right place to promote this sort of social sensationalism ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Charlie99:
But there hadn't been any cats dumb enough to try and swim between the islands, so the shark hadn't developed a taste for cats yet.

We all also know what cats do all day...eat, sleep, crap and lick their butt. :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Um ... read the article again.

First off, nowhere did it say the dog was alive.

Second, it was the locals ... not the folks who caught the shark ... who had used the dog for bait.

Finally, we're talking about a tiny island in the South Pacific here ... not downtown Manhattan. These folks don't, and shouldn't be expected to, adhere to the social and ethical norms of western white folks.

I really don't think ScubaBoard is the right place to promote this sort of social sensationalism ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Um...did you watch the video?(on the petition page) My french is pretty bad but it was about removing the hook from a live dog's face. A big hook. I'm not sure they were trolling with this dog as he was obviously alive.

I don't think this website has anything to do with Vanuatu though as I think it's about Reunion Island which is in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Africa. (google translates it as "Island of the Meeting"?)At the start of the video it looked way too built up to be Vanuatu. So signing the petition probably won't have much effect on the practice in Vanuatu...:)

Good catch on the locals not the Kiwi's doing it, I was about to post that as well.

markrob:
Apparently, the people who caught that shark in Vanuatu were using a live dog as bait! I'm not a member of Peta or anything but that's just not right. You can sign this petition to help end it.

Fish, worms, maggots, grasshoppers, even mice and other small rodents are commonly used as live bait.....and that's not to mention all the animal parts used for bait *after* the animal has been killed.....If there is something morally wrong about using a dog to catch a shark then we have a lot more soul searching to do than just that....

Do you eat meat?

R..

I agree with sjspeck, I am sure many posters did not watch the video. My french is not that good either, but the gist is that this is an ongong problem, not isolated incident. Hence the call to question this.

Now-the issue is not questioning ethics related to dead animals- that is a completley separate thing (totally worthy of discussion, maybe elsewhere) and I don;t think the issue is becasue this is a 'pretty' dog being used as bait- but ratehr that is is an inhumane act to a live animal.

As for imposing moral superiority on other nations- HA- like we don't do that all the bloody time anyway. Iraq immediately springs to mind, not to mention other situations too numerous to mention. What the petion is calling for is support to persuade the local government to do something about- much like they did with Apartheid in South Africa- should we have all kept quiet about that one and not imposed our social views on "them"?

for the record- I don't eat meat.

Animals fit into the category of:

Pets

Food

Beasts of burden

Subjects of scientific/medical experiments

Let us not confuse their different roles. In the developed and affluent world, we think of dogs as pets and may not like the notion of them being used as fishbait. However, there are parts of the world where they are abundant and may be used for other purposes (food, bait, etc).

Animal welfare is a perfectly good cause and I will make the effort to buy free-range eggs and chickens - and not play my little part in supporting battery farming - when I can. But there is the tendency for people to oversentimentalise and target the wrong people and practices. "Poor little dog for live sharkbait" sounds exciting and provocative and we can conveniently forget where our dinner comes from.

Doc Intrepid:
I'd rather use a live dog to catch a shark than lose another 7 year old girl to it...

I can understand someone's feelings toward their children leading them to hunt the shark but realistically, doing this thing is only going to kill a dog and a shark. The chances that the oceans will then magically become safer for 7 year old girls because of it is immeasurably small.

It's just good old fashioned voodoo medicine.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom