Does this sound right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Maresman,

Well, I did take a rather big breath to clear the mask. I posted about this several months ago, and someone mentioned that I should use smaller breaths instead of one big one.

While I guess it's true that I should come back downafter blowing out, I was in a 7-6-5 wetsuit with a 6 mm hood. I've been finding that I have to be REALLY careful about breath control at shallow depths, or else I can get into an uncontrollable ascent. I'm pretty sure that my surfacing was partly due that was started by my pulling a big breath.

<shrug> I guess that might be for another thread, though.

Hey GZScuba,

All part of the diving learning experience. As you keep diving you will find that you will need less weight and you'll be able to control your bouyancy from your breath.

I am still learning as many divers before us and after us. Enjoy the experience.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Something to think about is if your going to dive a lot is to get a good quality set of fins, (split fins) if you like them, and borrow some from the shop while your in the pool, and see if they will cut you a deal after class. If you at all think diving is going to be a long term sport, spend a little more on the gear the first time around.

Here a cost saving hint:

If you are using open-heeled fins for a pool class and don't want to buy boots, their are alternatives to the boot.

You can use either a neoprene sock or thick sock, or sometimes even Keds type sneakers, in open-heeled fins. Since in the pool you're not doing that much swimming, these socks and such will cut down on the chaffing.
Now don't EVER try this in open water, cause socks won't protect your feet in the real enviroment, but it's okay for the pool.

This would be good if you're borrowing fins for the pool class, or will be renting wetsuit boots normally, but don't want to rent the boots just for the pool. I used this technique when we were using open-heel fins in the pool but were planning on diving in dry-suits later, so no need to purchase boots.

That being said, if you're normal diving will include open-heeled fins requiring boots, just suck it up and buy the boots. :) My boots are easily the most disquisting part of my dive gear. I feel better knowing that my feet are soaking in my own toe-cheese, not someone elses. Ewwwww.

Another cost saving tip:
I don't know why they want you to buy a wetsuit. But here's another pool solution.

To stay warm during your pool classes, wear some thermal underwear.

I found that wearing a non-cotton thermal top (about a mil thick) kept me warm during the stand-around-and-listen pool sessions. So if you have any extra ski underwear thicking around, definitely the sythetic type and preferrable the thinner kind, it could help you with warmpth in the pool.

Further, I still use my 1 mm thermal shirt under my wetsuit for those early spring/ late fall dives. In May I plan on skiing in the morning, throwing my wetsuit on over the themals and diving in the afternoon!

I'm not a good example as I bought most of my equipment before starting the course, I was lucky as I'm still using most of it and am quite happy.

Our club asks people to have mask, snorkel, fins, and weightbelt before they start Open Water, no suit.

Most of the students arrive at their second confined water session with either a 0.5mms or a 3mms.

I must say, my introduction to SCUBA via a PADI instructor/teacher who own his own shop was the way to go for he included all rentals in the Open Water course for less than all other instructor in town. Seeing/reading the experiences of others has made me realise just how lucky I am. Like metridium (sp), I am benefiting from using various equipment without buyer's remorse. I am now making educated, informed decisions on what equipment I want based upon not just my diving situation at present but, how it may progress in the future years.
I recently purchased Diverite BCD with RecWings, a Gates(Hunter) drysuit, and a Bigeyes mask. Very very happy so far.

Back
Top Bottom