Does this sound right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otisbirdsong

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking a scuba class in New York in a couple of weeks and am being told that I need to have a mask, snorkel, fins and wetsuit to take the class...

I'm definitely not planning on buying the wetsuit, as it seems a little steep of a requirement but should I be forced to buy the other items before I take the class.

Does that make sense?

I'm planning on taking the open water dives in Mexico in May, so I'll probably need the mask , snorkel and fins...or maybe not?

I'm just trying to figure out what I definitely need to have so that I can take the course. I suspect that I'll enjoy diving but what happens if I find out that I don't really like diving, I don't want to be stuck with all these things.

Thanks to everyone that answered my last post....just trying to find out what I need to do without getting fleeced by some greedy businessman...

Todd

I've been reading alittle more on the board and it seems to make sense that I would need to have a good mask that fit well and has been tried on in the water that shouldn't cost more then 40- 60$, right?

Not planning on getting a wetsuit right away but will probably soon....

Definately get the mask, snorkel, fins, and boots before the class. It's pretty normal for that to be a requirement. I doubt you need to buy a wetsuit, since you will only be in a pool. The cost is relatively inexpensive on these items if you shop around. You could go to Leisure Pro in NYC and get all that stuff for a total of about $100. Expect to pay double that at your LDS.

My LDS required us to have a mask, fins, and a snorkle. Since we got fins with a boot pocket instead of a full-foot fin, we also had to buy boots. I think that's fairly standard.

During the confined water (pool) dives, we really didn't need wetsuits, though I did start to feel a bit chilly after three or four hours in the pool (I've got enough... ahem... personal insulation, that I'm good in a pool for a while). There was one woman in the class who was fairly thin and got very cold during the in-pool training. She borrowed a wetsuit from a friend for the second confined water training session, but it didn't fit well, and wasn't really any help.

For our open-water dives, we were in 50F water at a local lake. For that, the my LDS rented us 7mm jacket and farmer john wetsuits that kept us reasonably warm. At my LDS, all of the rental fees were included in the price of the course.

If you're going to be getting a referral to be certified in Mexico, I don't see why you should have to buy a wetsuit.

Welcome to the board.
Of the items you mentioned, by far the most important is the mask. A poorly fitting, leaking mask is a real pain to an experienced diver and can add an overwhelming amount of grief to a new diver, GET A GOOD FITTING MASK. Don't confuse "good fitting" with expensive. A less expensive masks that fits you well is a much better choice than a more expensive one that does not fit well. Spend what it takes to get a mask that fits you but mostly, spend the time to find one that fits. I always carry 2 masks just in case one breaks. I don't want to take the chance of not being able to find a good fitting one in a hurry.
Snorkles are a matter of opinion. Some like the "dry" ones, myself, a simple, inexpensive snorkle with a purge valve is my preference. In any case you will want one of your own, even if you don't decide to continue diving, you can always snorkle.
Fins are another area where opinions vary a lot. My suggestion would be to buy the booties and rent or borrow a set of fins until you can make an educated purchase based on what you like. (I don't like split fins, others love them. It has a lot to do with personal preference, it's a lot better to try several before you buy). Don't overlook used fins, they get scratched up but it's hard to actually hurt them. Ebay maybe? Ask around, a lot of divers have older ones that they may be willing to loan/sell.
The last thing I would buy would be a wetsuit. Now mind you, I hate rented wetsuits but until you know you want to keep diving they are a bit expensive to purchase up frount. Wetsuits are another place where you want to get a good quality one the FITS YOU, mail order does not usually work well on wetsuits. For the class, I would rent.

I agree with the statements made in the previous replies. However , it you are planning to take your OW dives in Mexico, you will need a 3 mil shorty to stay warm.

Even in water that's 80 deg, that is 18.6 deg cooler than your body. As you will learn in class, your body loses heat rather quickly in water even at 80 deg. You will feel cold after awhile.

My son is a diving instructor and I have been diving for quite some time. I have also done a great deal of diving in Mexico. You might want to at least rent a 3 mil scuba suit to get familiar with the warmth, bouyancy and weighting. If you find that you do not like diving after class, you can always return the suit . It's all part of diving.

If you don't like diving, you can always use it for snorkling. You are entering a wonderful world, so good luck with your training.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Making you buy a wetsuit is rediculous! Every shop I've been in wents wetsuits right along with their BCs, regs and tanks.

Here's a question that stuck out - to me anyway.

Some of you said or made it sound like you did the pool without a wetsuit, then rented the suit when you did you check out dives. Why weren't you in the pool with the exact same equip you would be doing you OW dives in? Seems to me that doing the pool in swimming trunks, then going to the lake with a 2 piece 7mm suit would just be a big pain for bouyancy.

When i took open water i was required to buy a mask, snorkel, fins, and booties from the dive shop.I think he really frowned if you try to buy your stuff online or had your own stuff.I purchased my stuff from him so i dont really know what his policy was if you didnt buy your basic gear from him.You also have to remember that selling gear is the main money maker in a scuba bussiness.The shop owner was always cool with me and cut me good deals on all of my gear.

I found that when I was looking around for an intro course, the courses varied in terms of what was supplied (as such the prices varied too). Some of the courses included the use of the gear, some you had to rent. If you're serious about diving, you may want to buy your basic gear where you take the course as you can probably try out the equipment and exchange it if it's not quite right .... especially the mask.

before i got my cert, i had no stuff so when we went to uor LDS we got mask, fins, snorkel, and booties. when we did our open water dives in key west, we brought the stuff listed above, and let the dive place worry about the bc's ect. also, in mexico. we went to coz, and the water was warm, but you still needed a wetsuit, once you get under the thermocline it can get chilly without a suit. as MaresMan1 said even if th water is warm, its still colder than you.

Have fun in mexico:)

Back
Top Bottom