Does this seem expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Primdrumma

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking into taking a Nitrox class for some time now. Considering my location there are not too many choices I have here. The class I am looking at (PADI) runs $189.95 plus an additional $74.95 for the books. Wait a tick...I've seen others post their entire Nitrox cert was only $150, what gives. I guess this is what you get with little competition?

I paid EUR 75 in total (class, books, dives).

What's your location?

Sorry I guess I left my location out...
I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming, but the dive shop is in Northern Colorado (Fort Collins).

How about this one? (found through padi.com)

Mountain Bay Scuba S-1906
128 Elk
Rock Springs, Wyoming 82901
UNITED STATES
Phone: (307) 382-9333

The books do seem expensive. The book I had from NAUI was maybe 50 pages long. $75 would seem like a lot for that.

If the class includes a dive or two where your instructor works with you it is not unreasonable.

El Orans:
How about this one? (found through padi.com)
Thanks for the quick research! But that shop is about 3.5 hours away, through some pretty wicked mountains (this time of year).

It does include one or two dives I believe.

You'll definately see Nitrox classes for different prices at different shops. But different shops also include different stuff. They may or may not include the books, DVD or VHS video, rental/tanks-air-fills for class, or actual check out dives or trip/dive costs.

My LDS charges $120 + $45 for books, but includes the rental tanks and nitrox fills and the check out dives at any of their quarry trips or ocean trips. But they put it on sale at Christmas for $69-$79 plus books ($40) with the same included.

The $189 + $75 for books does seem a little high compared to other prices I've seen on here. There was a thread sometime last year about what Nitrox classes cost. I've never seen the PADI books cost $75 bucks though. Thats very high. Maybe that cost included the video?

There was a thread on here last year where a lot of people were discussing price and what came with it for Nitrox in their locations.

I did a TDI nitrox course ,inccluding book, c card for $149.00 cdn
Padi was much more approx $50.00 more plus 2 dives Why?
Richard H.

You may also find that the store is including the three tables - 32%, 36% and the O2 table (my brain is fried, can't remember). The Nitrox course materials are expensive for the shops, at least in my experience, so they will pass that on to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom