Does the lens get jammed on all RX100 models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I usually don't touch my camera until it is close to a trip. So just a week or two before my planned trip, I took out my RX100 to check the time/battery, etc. The lens got stuck. I thought whatever lube, it is getting a little dry, so I forced a few on/offs and it seemed fine. But on my trip, I would put my camera in the housing, it tests good, and I leave it off until I suited up and am in the water. But pretty much every time, the lens would get stuck. I tried to turn the camera on before closing the housing and entering the water, but a slight touch of the zoom, focusing on a subject that is too close, (or even switching between preset modes, which even though has the zoom setting, the camera insists on moving the lens) and the lens would get stuck. I eventually moved my strobes to my backup camera, which the wet lens won't attach to.

After a day or two, I figured the camera was getting squeezed by the cheap Meikon housing, so I removed one, then two of those rubber stoppers the camera's front body rests against and I was able to use the camera for the rest of the trip. On the very last day, I was playing with the camera and it would refuse to extend the lens no matter what, but the trip is over and I couldn't care less.

Once I came back, I asked jeeve and he said something like bent ribbon cable, which I confirmed when I loosed all the screws to the camera. I could just not tighten the screws so tight in the future and shave off or remove some of the rubber stoppers in the housing, or change the o-ring (that won't help with the stuck shutter button that I can't seem to alleviate, no matter how many times I disassemble/lube the shaft and stretch the return spring). I thought then maybe its time to upgrade and one option is a newer version of the RX100. Just wondering if they still have the same issue with the lens, an whether it is still a go to compact camera for underwater use. The non-macro capability was always killing me, making me carry an old P&S camera in case I see a mini critter.

Lots of my friends have some version of the RX100. No issues like this reported.

We have 3 RX100s (first version- MI?) , and have no issues with them

Maybe the Meikon housing placed an extra squeeze on the camera's body, thus causing the ribbon cable to have a sharper fold? I notice that housing pretty much relies on front and back pressure to hold the camera, while some other P&S OEM housings has rubber guides to hold and stabilize the camera via its bottom and sides.

I have had 3 x RX100 MKIV over about 5 years and not seen this issue on any of them. (I drowned the first 2, don't ask!)

I guess I drown my cameras every few years, but due to my somewhat changed managing the o-ring technique (along with the white o-ring on current housing), this camera has not been destroyed by seawater yet.

I have a M2 and a Meikon that have gone on about 70 or 80 dives with no issues. Standard stiff buttons at the 100 foot mark (they loose on assent) but nothing else. I rinse religiously but have never needed to lube the buttons - maybe I should have? Also it is good for small critters using an Inon wet lens.

The return spring for the shutter button seem to be quite weak. I can stretch it, and after some squeezing, it reverts back somewhat. I might have to look for some stronger springs. Also, since the shutter depresser is offset from the external button itself, it seems to create some sort of torque on the stainless steel shaft, causing it to get stuck.

As for the threads for the screw on lens port, I am glad it is made out of metal, but the lack of vent holes makes putting on a lens a real pain. I have to remove the lens underwater then twist back and forth so excess water gets squeezed out through the threads. I even dropped my wet lens once because I was performing too many tasks while on the descent, luckily I noticed it was at the sandy bottom when I got there. I was thinking of drilling small holes or cutting a slit on the threaded barrel (like on my other housings), but the fear of mangled threads that would permanently cause the thread on the leans or housing to either strip or merge together prevented me from doing it.

I used to put my diopters on at the bottom, but as I am only using them for macro, that is not a problem. And then I got a flip holder it is without a doubt worth the investment. I think it was about $30 from overseas and I recommend them highly, and no air issues and no dropping. I think the magnetic holders have lots of followers too. There are many better options rather than re-tooling, and the flip devise will follow you to your next housing.

I think you have a bad spring on the trigger - see if the seller will send you a replacement. Good luck! I had two Canon brand poly housings before the Meikon - the Meikon is at least as well made in my view - but I wish I could fit a Moisture Muncher in easier.

I bought this housing 6 years ago from overseas. Not sure they they will honor support something that old. I was waiting for a better housing to come around, but anything that was better doesn't support the MKI/II given the change in popup flash position.

I think the housing is not as robust as my old Oly or Panny P&S housings. The Meikon creaks a little when twisting fully closed housing, which probably lead to the squeezing of the housing. The Panny housing holds the camera in place w/friction via rubber strips from above and below, where it is not affected by the pressure of the rear cover. Plus, the anti-reflective coating has completely worn off.

I use the Inon wet dome almost exclusively. With the macro on the camera being non-existent, my whole intention was to swap out lenses, but the cumbersome of unscrewing lens, I found it easier just to carry my old panny on a wrist strap exclusively for macros. It salvaged my last liveaboard when the RX100 keep shutting off in the midst of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom