Does the instructor have to cover everything in the PADI confined water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m.hamner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are in the middle of PADI certification for OW. Our instructor only covered what is shown by an x below.

As instructors, do you pick and choose the "highlights" of what you think should be covered? Or do you think that everything that's in the book should be covered at least once in the pool dives?

I realize that some of these are easy and really don't matter if they are covered or not, but I wanted to get your opinion. Is there one YOU would have covered with us?

I'll mark an X by the ones he DID cover in our pool dives. (BTW, he combined all pool dives into 1 6 and 1/2 hour day.

Pool Dive 1
[X] 1. put on and adjust mask, fins, snorkel,bcd, scuba, and weights.
[X] 2. inflate/deflate a bcd at surface using lp inflator.
[ ] 3. shallow water- demostrate proper compressed air breathing habits
[X] 4. clear and purge regulator underwater
[X] 5. recover reg hose from behind shoulder while underwater
[X] 6. clear partially flooded mask
[X] 7. swim underwater with scuba equip. while maintaing control of depth.
[ ] 8. locate spg while underwater and signal whether air is low or adequate
[X] 9. in shallow water, breath from another buddy's air source for 30 seconds.
[/] 10. underwater, recognize and or demonstrate hand signals. (only 4 covered)
[X] 11. demonstrate proper ascent technique.

Pool Dive 2
[X] 1. BWRAF
[ ] 2. Demonstrate entries (giant stride, controlled seating entry, back roll entryX)
[X] 3. clear snorkel (we only had snorkel during skin diving exercise)
[ ] 4. exchange reg for snorkel repeatedly just below surface
[ ] 5. swim distance of 50 yards while at surface with scuba gear on using snorkel.
[ /] 6. demonstrate 5 point descent method (he did it, we just observed)
[X] 7. remove completely, replace, and clear mask underwater
[X] 8. breathe underwater without mask for one minute underwater
[ ] 9. demonstrate response to faulty inflater by disconnecting lp inflater hose
[ ] 10. In deep water, orally inflate bcd to at least 1/2 full, followed by deflation.
[ ] 11. Adjust proper weighting, floating at eye level with empty bcd holding breath.
[X] 12. react to air depletion by giving out of air signal in water too deep to stand in.
[/] 13. demonstrate 5 point ascent method (he did it, we observed)
[ ] 14. Remove weights at surface using quick release mechanism
[ ] 15. In deep water, remove weights, scuba unit, and fins, then exit water

Pool Dive 3
[X] 1. independently establish neutral buoyancy using fin tip pivot method.
[X] 2. swim at least 10 meters underwater demonstrating neutral buoyancy.
[X] 3. Demonstrate cramp removal technique.
[X] 4. in deep water, perform 3 tired diver tows for 25 yards each
[X] 5. signal out of air, secure and breathe buddy's alternate air source for 1 minute.
[X] 6. breath effectively from free flowing regulator for 30 seconds or more
[X] 7. Demonstrate CESA for 30 feet while exhaling continuously.

Pool Dive 4
[ ] 1. Demonstrate use of proper hyperventilation when skin diving
[X] 2. Dive vertically headfirst in deep water
[X] 3. Clear and breathe from snorkel on ascent
[ ] 4. swim underwater w/o mask for 50 feet, replace and clear mask underwater
[ ] 5. Using buoyancy control, hover w/o kicking or sculling for 30 seconds or more
[ ] 6. buddy breathe using single air source swimming 50 feet as donor and receiver (edit: optional)

Pool Dive 5
[X] 1. deep water- remove, replace, adjust scuba and weights at surface.
[X] 2. deep water- remove, replace, adjust scuba and weights underwater.
[ ] 3. deep water- remove, replace weight belt, or quick release weights while underwater

let me know what you think!? Is he pretty good or would you have done something differently?

The only thing that is optional is the buddy breathing. You should do all the others. Doing all the module in one day is very heavy and I would normally take two days intersperced with video, theory and quizzes.
Some types of entry are not possible in certain situations and the instructor should only do those which are safe and possible.
Doing only 4 hand signals - OK I suppose. You will do more as you do your open water dives.

PADI Standards limit training dives to 3 per day. 5 conf water dives should take at least 2 days to complete.

All are required by PADI standards.

If it's on the syllabus it has to be demonstrated by the instructor and performed to standards by the student.

the K

Your list is fairly close but somewhat paraphrased.

A few specific comments:
1-3 The instructor might have observed that you breathed naturally and did not hold your breath.
2-2 PADI does not specify which deep water entry or entries to use.

Every skill (except buddy breathing) should have been accomplished by each student. To me, a few of the most worrisome issues are that you did not do the no-mask swim nor the hover.

By standards, you also should have:
- done an exercise combining air depletion with swimming while breathing from a buddy-supplied alternate air source.
- assembled and disassembled your scuba unit (cylinder, BCD, regulator) five times.
- completed a 200 yard swim or 300 yard snorkel swim, and a 10 minute float.

I suggest you have a talk with your instructor and/or shop owner/manager about your concerns. As a last resort call PADI.

PADI Standards limit training dives to 3 per day. 5 conf water dives should take at least 2 days to complete.
Ah, I think you’ll find that applies to Open Water dives, not Confined Water dives. However, I agree that doing all the confined water diving in one day is aggressive.

My wife and I are in the middle of PADI certification for OW. Our instructor only covered what is shown by an x below.

As instructors, do you pick and choose the "highlights" of what you think should be covered? Or do you think that everything that's in the book should be covered at least once in the pool dives?

I realize that some of these are easy and really don't matter if they are covered or not, but I wanted to get your opinion. Is there one YOU would have covered with us?

I'll mark an X by the ones he DID cover in our pool dives. (BTW, he combined all pool dives into 1 6 and 1/2 hour day.

Pool Dive 1
[X] 1. put on and adjust mask, fins, snorkel,bcd, scuba, and weights.
[X] 2. inflate/deflate a bcd at surface using lp inflator.
[ ] 3. shallow water- demostrate proper compressed air breathing habits
[X] 4. clear and purge regulator underwater
[X] 5. recover reg hose from behind shoulder while underwater
[X] 6. clear partially flooded mask
[X] 7. swim underwater with scuba equip. while maintaing control of depth.
[ ] 8. locate spg while underwater and signal whether air is low or adequate
[X] 9. in shallow water, breath from another buddy's air source for 30 seconds.
[/] 10. underwater, recognize and or demonstrate hand signals. (only 4 covered)
[X] 11. demonstrate proper ascent technique.
[X] 12. assemble and disassemble bcd 5 times
[X[ 13. 10 minute water treading and 200 yard free swim.

Pool Dive 2
[X] 1. BWRAF
[ ] 2. Demonstrate entries (giant stride, controlled seating entry, back roll entryX)
[X] 3. clear snorkel (we only had snorkel during skin diving exercise)
[ ] 4. exchange reg for snorkel repeatedly just below surface
[ ] 5. swim distance of 50 yards while at surface with scuba gear on using snorkel.
[ /] 6. demonstrate 5 point descent method (he did it, we just observed)
[X] 7. remove completely, replace, and clear mask underwater
[X] 8. breathe underwater without mask for one minute underwater
[ ] 9. demonstrate response to faulty inflater by disconnecting lp inflater hose
[ ] 10. In deep water, orally inflate bcd to at least 1/2 full, followed by deflation.
[ ] 11. Adjust proper weighting, floating at eye level with empty bcd holding breath.
[X] 12. react to air depletion by giving out of air signal in water too deep to stand in.
[/] 13. demonstrate 5 point ascent method (he did it, we observed)
[ ] 14. Remove weights at surface using quick release mechanism
[ ] 15. In deep water, remove weights, scuba unit, and fins, then exit water

Pool Dive 3
[X] 1. independently establish neutral buoyancy using fin tip pivot method.
[X] 2. swim at least 10 meters underwater demonstrating neutral buoyancy.
[X] 3. Demonstrate cramp removal technique.
[X] 4. in deep water, perform 3 tired diver tows for 25 yards each
[X] 5. signal out of air, secure and breathe buddy's alternate air source for 1 minute.
[X] 6. breath effectively from free flowing regulator for 30 seconds or more
[X] 7. Demonstrate CESA for 30 feet while exhaling continuously.

Pool Dive 4
[ ] 1. Demonstrate use of proper hyperventilation when skin diving
[X] 2. Dive vertically headfirst in deep water
[X] 3. Clear and breathe from snorkel on ascent
[ ] 4. swim underwater w/o mask for 50 feet, replace and clear mask underwater
[ ] 5. Using buoyancy control, hover w/o kicking or sculling for 30 seconds or more
[ ] 6. buddy breathe using single air source swimming 50 feet as donor and receiver (edit: optional)

Pool Dive 5
[X] 1. deep water- remove, replace, adjust scuba and weights at surface.
[X] 2. deep water- remove, replace, adjust scuba and weights underwater.
[ ] 3. deep water- remove, replace weight belt, or quick release weights while underwater

let me know what you think!? Is he pretty good or would you have done something differently?

EDIT: After a reply to this post, I'd like to add that we DID do the 10 minute tread and the 200 yard swim without scuba gear. Also, we did put our own kit together about 5 times. Sorry. Thanks for pointing that out.

You said you are in the middle of the training. Is it possible that you are just not done yet and they still have skills that you are going to do. Also is it possible that you did some things without realizing it. I don't get it you never decended?

Well, he said we've covered all the drills needed. Now we just use them in our open water dives this weekend. We did descend, we just didn't do it the "official" way. We just watched him. We had a lot to cover in that big pool dive. Not sure if that helped clarify.

Sometimes a series of skills are combined. Is it possible that some of these skills were combined with others?

If they were just plain skipped, then there are standards violations. You should talk to your instructor /dive shop and get back into the pool and finish demonstrating those skills before you go do your Open Water dives.
Make sure that you do all of the required skills for Open Water, too!

Back
Top Bottom