Does PADI frown on BP/W over "regular" bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as I like a bp/w I tend to agree with Nick. I can and have dived all sorts of bc's including jackets and I am certainly not in fear for my life when I do. LOL BTE Nick, what's so great about sliced bread? Don't you own a knife?:D

Well sure, unsliced bread is great, once you've been eating bread for a while. But at first I find it is best to not increase the amount of task loading on a new bread eater and therefore recommend they purchase sliced bread. Then later, if they choose to move into the more technical aspects of bread consumption, whether its toasting or sandwhich making, they can move up to an unsliced loaf; with proper training of course.

Good one!

Why are all the major players and significant authorities on diving, the ones who have consistently been taking it to the next level, and working hard to promote the industry, at all levels, diving BP/W setups, even in warm water rec? Why do these same people encourage recreational divers to adopt BP/W technology? If the technology is so easy to reproduce in the home - than their fiscal interest must be fairly limited. So whats the motivation for the vocalization.

As an instructor, or a divemaster, it can be said that we want what is best for students. Sticking them in vest/style BCDs is not doing them a service in the long-term.

I have been living the full time recreational instructor/guide life for this entire century (following the industry and publications fairly religiously) and I am not of the opinion ALL the major players and significant authorities are necessarily taking it to the next level or promoting the industry, much less ALL diving BP/W in every situation. Whenever I see words like all, always, every, everybody and never, my brain says salesperson &/or know-it-all, and both terms are not necessarily compliments in my book.

In no-stop diving (recreational), both here (Hawaii) and in the Florida Keys, I have seen little reason to advise BP/W (or even back inflation) for beginning divers. The only times would be really big folk that harnesses accommodate better, and possibly someone who is only learning so they can take the expensive underwater video rig they already own. Obviously someone planning mostly dry diving should consult experienced dry diving instructors.

Task-overload is a significant part of the formative period and safe buoyancy with jacket style has less task-load. If you come to the surface slightly panicked (or worse) will you remember the delicate amount of air to put in your back inflation rig for proper surface buoyancy? With a vest, just fill the sucker up!

AFAIC, the right shoulder and right rear dumps are really just instructor/guide dumps for most divers, 'cause that's who uses it most of the time. After you are proficient in the basics, and have a better idea of where you are headed with your diving, then look into new/different gear. Would you recommend a Viper or Hummer for a 16 y/o new driver?

As an instructor I say that sticking every new diver in BP/W is not doing most of them a service in the long-term. :shakehead:

I think you're correct that beating a dead horse is best for the beginner horse beater. Once they have a few horse beatings under their belt they may feel comfortable, under the supervision of a qualified instructor of course, increasing the task loading and moving up to beating live horses. I would still recommend they stay small to start with, maybe a Shetland pony for example and then move up into the larger breeds as they gain experience and confidence in their ability to beat the horse without endangering themselves or their horse beating buddy.

I think you're correct that beating a dead horse is best for the beginner horse beater. Once they have a few horse beatings under their belt they may feel comfortable, under the supervision of a qualified instructor of course, increasing the task loading and moving up to beating live horses. I would still recommend they stay small to start with, maybe a Shetland pony for example and then move up into the larger breeds as they gain experience and confidence in their ability to beat the horse without endangering themselves or their horse beating buddy.

Lol, you're on a roll with analogies today.

That's about the only new thing in this thread though so it keeps it entertaining.

I think we need to do a double blind, double blinded observer and double binded user study!!!! My gut feeling is, the vacation cruise ship diving overweight, beer drinking, having fun crowd will prefer the jacket BC 5 to 1 to the BP/W !!!!

Can't be the 5 day, 10 dives that Mike prefers. But the condensed 2 day version of how 80% of OW classes are done. In and out, and you are certified...

Then the horse is really dead.

No problems at all in using the BP/W with PADI. The requirement is that you be equipped with a buoyancy compensation device. Any PADI instructor who tells you that you are not "allowed" to use the BP/W is probably just trying to sell you something they have in the shop. (What? PADI? No way! :wink:)

The bigger question is whether you should really buy before you try. That is a lot of cash to spend without knowing if you like it. Put it this way: If you are learning to drive you should not go out and get the Porsche Boxster. Sure, it is a great car, and you certainly could learn to drive in it, but what happens if you decide what you really like is getting off-road and 4WD? Ooops!

If you are training with the shop I work with here in Hawaii (Oahu Dive Center), which incidentally is predominately PADI affiliated, we supply ALL required gear while you train. If you want to try a certain piece of equipment we will endeavor to put you into that piece of gear so you can see what works for YOU. Back inflate, Jacket style, paddle fin or split fin....whatever. Your instructor should be trying to educate you about diving. Try a couple of BCDs out before you blindly plunk down the cash.

That BP/W is a bit of cash too:

$300 wing
$80 plate
$100 harness
$100 integrated weight/pockets

Total: $550 to $600.

To be honest, half of new divers who purchased gears will not be diving again after about 20 dives. Jeez, just rent the stuff, and be happy.

That BP/W is a bit of cash too:

$300 wing
$80 plate
$100 harness
$100 integrated weight/pockets

Total: $550 to $600.

To be honest, half of new divers who purchased gears will not be diving again after about 20 dives. Jeez, just rent the stuff, and be happy.

You can get them cheaper than that, shop around a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom