Does One Exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMT shears have worked great in my experience. I've not had to cut myself free with them, though...

Jimmie

I want something I can unsheath on the fly and slice it away in moments. The line cutters on dive knives are a waste-they only pull the line. Sheers are a step in the right direction but they aren't exactly fast when every second counts. We're talking tangled in the stuff.

I carry a pair of EMT shears also - seem to work great for cutting line. There are also line cutters as well that you can get, but I've not used them yet so I can't say how effective they are.

i have the OMS shears..
sounds like what your lookin for

EMT shears work great for monofilament line. I carry a pair on my left side chest D-ring. All the line cutters I've tried haven't worked very well. The bigger problem where I dive are the super-lines like SpiderWire and FireLine, but even they are easily handled with EMT shears.

Here:

Z-knife

div2059.jpg

and here:

Cold water Z-knife

div2059c.jpg

I think that they were originally used by paratroopers to cut lines when entangled. I have the cold water version from OMS which is larger.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I carry a small knife, EMT scissors, and and z-knife. The small knife is on the waistband or between my teeth, the rest in in the pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom