Does One Exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z-knife is totally what you're looking for. They cut through 2" webbing like butter, fishing line is no problem at all.

I have a small, sharp knife on my BC, a pair of sheers on my left shoulder strap. I do not have a Z knife yet, but should get one.

Mono is the most likely entanglement problem we have here. Too much fishing line gets lost.

Note that some of it is kevlar, and most knizes will not cut it easily. Sheers will.

But a Z knife is the quickest, simplest device I've seen to use on simple light line entanglemets.

I always carry dive knife and sheers. I'll be adding the Z-Knife to my arsenal

Appreciate the feedback!

What's nice about the Z-knife ( cold water version ) is that it's fast to use with bulky dive gloves on and just a swiping motion in the direction of the mono-filament will find it and shear it quickly. I have used it a few times and love it.

Warren_L:
I carry a pair of EMT shears also - seem to work great for cutting line. There are also line cutters as well that you can get, but I've not used them yet so I can't say how effective they are.

My only question about shears is using them in 3 - 7 mm gloved hands? How quickly can you use any shears like that?

Hey Rapiddiver!

As mentioned by others EMT Shears are the best..."Real EMT Shears" not the knock offs for $9.99 I carry two on me just in case. I have cut Mono Lines with them and they work great durring clean up days and so forth.

Peace

rapidiver:
Yesterdays tragedy on Cape Cod ( http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=117880 ) got me thinking

I've yet to find a knife/sheers/line cutter that will quickly slice through monofilament.

Does one exist?

Expanding your question...... Anyone know of a knife that will cut through "down rigger" cable??? We often run into these riggings along the rock walls in Lake Superior. If your ever in need of some lead to melt down come visit us on the north shore. We can bring up 30-40 lbs on any givin dive the problem is the cables associated with it.

I had an opportunity to cut away at some Kevlar in a lab. The ceramic scissors worked best. I'm wondering if there is a (plan) for a Z-knife with a ceramic blade or ceramic shears??

markDoerr:
My only question about shears is using them in 3 - 7 mm gloved hands? How quickly can you use any shears like that?
In Florida Only....:)

Back
Top Bottom