Does my new wetsuit REALLY fit ... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I picked up my new wetsuit yesterday. It is the brand new 2013 Aqualung Balance Comfort full length 5.5mm. I had tried on the Medium, which was far too tight and was forcing my shoulders down as soon as I got in it. They guy in the store agreed. The large was too baggy in areas creating pockets of air.

I am 6ft 2inch (187cm). He said I would probably be the M/L size which Aqualung do actually supply. He ordered it and as I said it arrived yesterday. This is the very first wetsuit I have owned so don't know how it should really feel.
When I put it on, all 4 people in the store in London said it looked like a good fit. I am only thin so I accept that it is moderately tight on my body, as it is made for more 'built' people.

Main problem in my mind is that it is slightly putting a downward force on my shoulders and the length of the back zipper is quite tight. It is not unbearable but just seems odd. The wetsuit size M/L on the size chart is for people up to 180cm. They people in the shop said it would be fine and it would loosen after being used in the water, etc. I really need peace of mind here because it was £225 and I don't want to go in the pool in it, just to find I can't return it.
Am I panicking over nothing? I am 7cm too tall for the recommended length.

Thanx for reading ... :D

It's hard to really gauge this over the Internet. If you can post of photo of you in it it might be easier to offer advice. Wetsuits need to fit snugly or they will allow too much water to flow through negating any thermal properties. The wetsuit should not be so tight as to cut off any circulation. Do the arms come down to your wrists? Do the legs come down to your ankles? Do you have fairly free movement in it? can you squat in it? can you rotate your shoulders? If in doubt I'd take it back while you are still able, if it feels to small it quite possibly is. Good luck.

Carpster 61,

The only flag I am hearing is the downward force on your shoulders. Have you gotten the suit wet yet, even in the shower, including flooding it inside? I suspect that will let it settle on your body and this will neutralize the fit. 7cm for my metirc challenged brain is 2-3/4 inches which could be significant however you also need to consider proportions. I happen to be long in the torso and short in the legs which throws fits off. All or none or the 7cm could be in that distance over the shoulders and through the crotch which is the tension you describe. A 5.5 mm suit is relatively forgiving.

The strangeness of a good fit is to be ecpected. Just think superhero! It needs to fit with a hint of compression and after wearing it for a dive you want to see the stitching imprinted in your skin for a while after the dive.

You should expect the zipper to be stretching the neoprene for the last inch of closure, you need a little bit of compression for a good fit. Once zipped it should not hinder inhaling not assist in exhaling. You should have your normal full range of motion.

More here.

Pete

I would post a pic but I don't know how, I haven't posted pics here before.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2013 at 01:32 PM ----------

I will take a pic when I get home and work out how to post it, thanx guys.

You may have to choose a "tall" size for a better fit, possibly from a different manufacturer if Aqualung doesn't have those. I'm 6'4" tall and usually considered skinny. I had to try lots of suits but ended up with a "medium/large tall" 5mm suit from Henderson. Fits perfect.

Aqualung do actually do a M/LL (Medium/LargeLong) but not in the balance comfort ... Just going swimming now, will put pic up when im back ... Thanx

All I can say is that I was quite dubious that the wetsuit I originally bought fit me, because it felt tight in a number of places, and I felt as though it restricted my mobility quite a bit. The shop owner insisted it was right -- and he was correct. Once the suit got wet, it shifted around and became much more comfortable.

I give up ... :-( I have taken 3 pics and have been trying to get them on this thread now for 30 minutes. I use the 'insert image' option, then I choose it from the desktop, then I hit 'upload image' and nothing happens. I did try ... !!!

Took these earlier ... Don't know what you think of the fit ... ???

2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg

Is the wetsuit too short in the legs and sleeves ... ??? In reply to Buddahsummer, yes I can squat in it and rotate my arms quite easily but there is resistance. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom