Does more advanced training include training in skills like "Drownproofing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Navy Skills for Life – Water Survival Training – Drownproofing"

Seems like this would be a valuable skill to learn.

[video=youtube_share;aZ7I5BrPQl0]http://youtu.be/aZ7I5BrPQl0[/video]

While I learned that skill in the Navy, it was never addressed in any recreational diving courses. Perhaps it should be, at least on a limited scale.

Can't download video, but drownproofing is the only way I can float in fresh water. Not sure I would call it a real skill--more like "do this and it works". Wish I had known that BEFORE doing the DM stamina test float with hands out of water last 2 minutes.

Firstly, define 'advanced dive training'?

As my diving progressed to higher and higher levels, I spent no more significant time floating around defeated of any scuba kit. I've always had buoyancy and I've always had weight. Drown proofing only works if divested of kit. As such, it's no more applicable to an advanced diver than a novice diver.

What's our scenario for needing it? Falling off the dive boat in our Speedos only?

Three things that do get more important are; water comfort, stress management and dealing with gas depletion (out of gas emotional control).

Drown proofing could indirectly benefit these factors... But there are other approaches that also do so. Good instructors deal with these relative to the level of dive training being provided. Bad instructors don't..

Firstly, define 'advanced dive training'?

Anything that is more advanced than "basic open water" training is what I was thinking. AKA the first certification that divers get.

As my diving progressed to higher and higher levels, I spent no more significant time floating around defeated of any scuba kit. I've always had buoyancy and I've always had weight. Drown proofing only works if divested of kit. As such, it's no more applicable to an advanced diver than a novice diver.

What's our scenario for needing it? Falling off the dive boat in our Speedos only?

I would say: any unexpected scenario where you would find such a skill to be helpful. It seems prudent to me to expect the unexpected.

Drownproofing = "Don't thrash around in the water like a frantic maniac" which is basic guidance for any diver. Far more important for new divers actually. Hopefully "more advanced divers" already get this.

Back in my red cross life saving/WSI courses we did some stuff with water survival including making a float out of your pants.

I do not float well at all. One tiny puff out and I sink. Why the petite instructors liked me to be the victim when giving tests to other folks.

Didn't know it had a name------but I've been doing that for over 30 years in our pool-----good to know of the name.....

My open water course included drownproofing (four different techniques, in fact, with the diver wearing nothing but a bathing suit) as an important component.

Distance swimming (timed and un-timed; bathing suit only), drownproofing (timed; bathing suit only), physical fitness (running, situps, etc.), and snorkeling/skin diving (bathing suit, mask, fins, snorkel, and weightbelt), were all *non-scuba* components emphasized in my open water course.

None of these non-scuba components should be regarded as "advanced" skills imho. Each of these non-scuba components should be regarded as essential, fundamental/foundational scuba skills imho.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

You are more likely to find those type of skills taught in a basic swimming class.

I guess a lot of folks that learn to dive haven't had a swim course, or the new swim classes have cut out the basics to save time.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom