Does more advanced training include training in skills like "Drownproofing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as the buoyant effect is properly negated by weighting, they are allowed. No reason to have people being miserable by being cold.
Yes I stand corrected, and knew that. Wetsuit & weight to offset it means the same for everyone, regardless of body buoyancy. A good idea for all.

---------- Post added October 17th, 2015 at 07:11 PM ----------

Actually I was refuting the analogy that I was quoting. In an earlier post I gave my thoughts on the original question.

There is no reason to have a basic water / swimming skill taught in an advanced SCUBA class, if it were taught it should be done in OW before SCUBA skills.

Bob
"If it were taught" is the key. Don't know if drownproofing is considered a basic swimming skill. Basic swimming skills should not have to be taught in OW or any scuba course.

Don't know if drownproofing is considered a basic swimming skill. Basic swimming skills should not have to be taught in OW or any scuba course.

Personally, I think it unwise to be taking anyone out in the water without them having swimming and drown proofing skills, but I am old and grew up in different times.

Bob

Personally, I think it unwise to be taking anyone out in the water without them having swimming and drown proofing skills, but I am old and grew up in different times.

Bob
Oh yeah, for sure. Nowadays. These skills shouldn't have to be taught at all. I wonder what % of people who signed up for scuba in 1970 actually didn't have these skills beforehand?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom