Does it take brawn or brains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I set up my first set of doubles Saturday. A pair of steel 100's on a BP/W. I dived the set up for the first time yesterday and thought the twins were gonna roll into the boot of my drysuit. I can't believe how heavy those things are.

My question is how many of you doubles divers carry your gear to the boat or down to the lake or beach and how many of you use some type of cart? The cart sure seems like the way to go but I can't go out looking like a girly man (no offense to the ladies or actual girly men) if i'm the only one doing it.

At the dive shop, I use the cart, although if they are empty :11: I'll hoist them onto my shoulder to impress the dive groupies.

In the garage, I just lift them by the valves

In and out of the boat, I'll use the BP, and wear it like a backpack.

I have double 100's and double 130's. The 100's are sweet compared to the 130's!! I either carry them in my arms close to my chest, or easier yet, put the BP and wing on them, slip into the harness and walk them down to the boat on my back.

If you're diving doubles, you should be in good enough shape to walk them to the boat easily.

If nobody's looking, use the cart :wink:

I've used old LP95s which are super heavy, LP108s, LP104s, and AL80s. I am about to buy a handcart. Dealing with carrying these things over the past year and a half is crazy. Some sites don't make it easy though to use a cart.

My doubles weigh almost as much as I do. To get them in and out of the dive shop, I use a hand truck. To get them in and out of the car, I have a patented method which involves hoisting them up onto my knees and then falling backward into the car, and shoving them off my thighs sideways. (Don't laugh -- It works nicely.)

At the dive sites, I gear up at the car and wear the doubles to the water. That's generally a couple hundred feet, and frequently down a fairly steep slope, which I have to negotiate getting back up, too. I often use a little buddy help to get back up.

To get the doubles to the boat, I either use the handtruck or wear them.

They are brutally heavy, but one gets used to it. And I've gotten quite fond of mine, and find I prefer diving them to diving a single tank any more.

In my opinion it is much like drawing a bow with a heavy draw weight. Most of it involves good technique and the rest involves developing muscles you do not otherwise use.

Diving doubles is the same way and after a few to several dives you develop the right muscles and/or get the hang of doing it efficiently. Getting up the ladder after a long cold dive can be the most critical and difficult thing. Early on handing up the weights, deco bottles, etc, first may help. After awhile though you will probably find it easier to come up the ladder with everything on.

Carrying them a short distance to and from the boat or water is almost always easier if you just wear the tanks especially if you slip them on at seat level and can take them off at the same level with little or no lifting at either end of the trip. The harness on even a hog BP/wing is not all that uncomfortable on short hikes. On longer hauls use of a suitable handcart is a sign of brains, not whimpiness.

Go back to your basic physics and geometry.
I'm almost 60 years old and I can hump double 100's.

It aint braggin iffen you kin do it!

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom