Does everyone really need the LP BCD inflator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are lucky that you don't need any thermal protection for your diving, but (I guess) the majority of us dive with wetsuits and drysuits. In those cases, a BCD with mechanical inflation is required. So, your case is just an exception and not the rule.
Do not count money in front of the poor.

You know how much the privilege of diving without a wet suit costs?

Temperatures of 45 to 60 Celsius (115 to 140 Fahrenheit) from late May to early September.
It gets a bit hot lol.

Haha good points

Combined inflator/octo wouldn't work with my setup.
Because my primary is tethered to my neck.
Only my vibrant yellow octopus is for donation. My primary wouldn't go very far if yanked by a panicking OOA diver. I'd put primary back in mouth with left hand and supply octo at same time with my right hand.

But I get your point.
Maybe the following experiment could be interesting: sit down on a chat and put your necklaces primary on. Now have a friend take the primary and pull it as far away as possible, then a little more before letting it snap back at your face. Post a photo of your face and let us know how it went.

Maybe the following experiment could be interesting: sit down on a chat and put your necklaces primary on. Now have a friend take the primary and pull it as far away as possible, then a little more before letting it snap back at your face. Post a photo of your face and let us know how it went.

I don't know if you're being funny or sarcastic but if you ever actually dived in real water. Like wet water that's not your bathtub?
Joking aside, motion, velocity, torque, and similar is hugely reduced underwater.
The primary would probably bobble back.

Weird...

I don't know if you're being funny or sarcastic but if you ever actually dived in real water. Like wet water that's not your bathtub?
Joking aside, motion, velocity, torqued, and similar is hugely reduced underwater.
The primary would probably bobble back.

Weird...
Well @StefinSB is right.
You don't necklace a primary reg because in a real OOA situation, the person is going to go to the one you are breathing and not to your octopus.
You necklace the secondary. This way you know where to find it when you need it.

@Corrupted_Diver

I don’t know how you have trained but one technique is to keep loading the student with extra problems to see how far they can get and remain in control. As the student in those circumstances I find that having any one of the encumbrances removed makes stuff suddenly a lot easier. Just because you can manage the situation when nothing else is going wrong doesn’t mean you can manage it in all cases.

Another point, suppose something happens to your buddy. Maybe completely unrelated to you. When the police look at your kit and see this are they going to ask whether it had an impact on your ability to perform a rescue? If they ask an expert what will they say?

Since you can choose not to use an inflator it is a mystery to me why you would not have it fitted in case you discover you really need it.

You know how much the privilege of diving without a wet suit costs?

Temperatures of 45 to 60 Celsius (115 to 140 Fahrenheit) from late May to early September.
It gets a bit hot lol.

Yes and it can still be 23 in a thermocline

Since you live in the area..

If you were to be invited to dive the far Northern Musandam, you'd be grateful for the power inflator, more than once I've been pressing the button at 30m to counteract the sudden downcurrent, often my other hand has the scooter vertical with the trigger on max, to assist in preventing me being pushed down to the sand (which is a further 100m below me). You have ZERO hope if you're orally inflating.

We encounter significant downcurrents a few times a year (because of the sites we choose to dive)

Furthermore. In a stressed condition, see how a diver struggles to orally inflate at the surface vs being able to power inflate, even when just on the Rescue course

Mate the thread was started out of a deluded haze of imagined superiority to mess with people

There is no intention of inflator removal

Well @StefinSB is right.
You don't necklace a primary reg because in a real OOA situation, the person is going to go to the one you are breathing and not to your octopus.
You necklace the secondary. This way you know where to find it when you need it.

Stefin is right that a yanked regulator on a necklace will richocet me back in the face underwater?
Not possible. First of all, the tension on the necklace is low and secondly, as I said above, motion is slowed underwater.

I think you meant Stefin is right that he implied I should not have my primary on a necklace. But it cannot hurt me on rebound.

This is an urban myth that isn’t supported by incident reports. People do what they were training to do.

Haha absolutely not.
I was diving with a dive master and a new diver. We were at 31 meters and about 14 minutes into the dive, the new diver swims up and in front of us and very calmly does the out of air gesture (neck slice hand gesture).

He was trained to gesture out of air and reach for his buddy's (the dive master) alternate source.

@Corrupted_Diver

I don’t know how you have trained but one technique is to keep loading the student with extra problems to see how far they can get and remain in control. As the student in those circumstances I find that having any one of the encumbrances removed makes stuff suddenly a lot easier. Just because you can manage the situation when nothing else is going wrong doesn’t mean you can manage it in all cases.

Another point, suppose something happens to your buddy. Maybe completely unrelated to you. When the police look at your kit and see this are they going to ask whether it had an impact on your ability to perform a rescue? If they ask an expert what will they say?

Since you can choose not to use an inflator it is a mystery to me why you would not have it fitted in case you discover you really need it.

I trained PADI about fifteen years ago. I recall training state that I reach for my dive partner's secondary air source - not primary.
I didn't understand the bolded point.
What encumbrance removed? Are you referring to the point of discussion of eliminating the LP inflator hose?
Or that I have my primary on a necklace?

When the police observe my kit and see that I don't have a LP inflator or that my primary was on a necklace?

Back
Top Bottom