Does anyone here use the HydroOptix Diving Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjundvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen some thing on this mask and although its quiet expensive I can see some benifit for some research diving activities.

Has anyone out there used it or know others who do? If so what is your take on them?

here is the link if you have not seen this mask

http://www.hydrooptix.com

I looked at the mask, but not like having to dive with contacts, even though I should since I don't have a perscription mask. I have been told that they are quite big and that because the way it is designed that you have to wear contacts with it. It also saya that in the add even if you have 20/20 vision. Knowing that I have been turned off of it. I look at it that if I have to wear contacts with a mask becasue one has good vision, well it just does not sit well with me. I may as well get a good mask that does not require the wear of contacts to get the benefit.

I am looking at the atomic vision masks. I hafve done some research on them and heard nothing about great things about them.

out of curiosity though waht is the price of a hydrooptic mask?

Several of us around here that use the Hydrooptix mask - I recently switched and posted my comments here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=148912

Short and long is, if it works for your eyes Rx (approx -2.5 to -6.0 depending on age and other factors) it's a great mask. My vision underwater is better overall than with my glasses on the surface. Mostly because of the full peripheral vision it gives me.

Aloha, Tim

adrisen:
out of curiosity though waht is the price of a hydrooptic mask?

From what I can fond out its about $300 which is an insain price for a mask concidering I have accidently smashed a couple of mask.

Can someone correct me if i am wrong on the price.

I borrowed one once. My eyes are bad enough on the surface that I don't need to use the contacts with the mask. I thought the mask was fantastic. In addition to the remarkable vision it gives, it was extremely comfortable and fit my face perfectly. I have put it on my definite list things to get.

Now, if you're worried about smashing your mask on the dive boat, I recall that replacement lenses are remarkably inexpensive and can be installed in a matter of minutes with no special tools. I might have been dreaming but I recall the replacement lens price was under $20 (yes really) so you probably want to get one (or two) along with the mask. I think the pricing here is specifically intended to counter the "expensive if I break it argument."

Just one note... this mask is something you definitely need to try before you buy. As I recall there are several options with the optics and you need to get the exact one that will work for you. You need to contact the dealers listed on the hydrooptix web page and they'll probably try to arrange to meet diving somewhere to give you a wet try-on. I know one of the hydrooptix dealers and that is what he does.

I have one, and there are some special concerns, but it works remarkably well. As an older diver, not have to have bifocals for camera work is wonderful. But there are some interesting aspect to this mask that make it very different to handle.

If you have bad eyes that match the range that works - it is the best there is. Contacts to make your eyes bad????? Not sure on that idea.

I am nearsighted, lucky me...
I have one and it is different,
love the field of vision, haven't seen anything better, I have a slightly large nose and the fit is a problem if I don't get it just right, don't really like the purge valves either,
but that great field of vision, seems to make up for the other issues

The silicone purge flapper valves can feel “dry” to the touch (in air), caused by salt / chemical deposits. Deposits reduce the “sticktion” between the flapper and the hard plastic valve seat, which can cause a minor leak.

SOLUTION:
Rinse in fresh water and rub silicone grease into the silicone flappers. Make sure to use viscous grease from a tube, not aerosol. Dive shops sell the grease for zippers on wetsuits / drysuit,
and O-rings on camera housings. The stickiness (surface-tension) from the
silicone grease prevents the flapper from opening when minor pressure
changes might otherwise cause a “burp.”

TIP:
When purging out water, your head must come completely upright so that every
last drop of water flows downhill — backwards towards the flapper valves.
Otherwise a few drops will remain in the purge-chamber. If water does remain, as soon as you
resume head-down position... the water flows back into the dome lens area.

SCHNOZ-POCKET UPDATE:
Our newest face-skirt works great for those with a prominant
nose bridge + other refinements. Check out the animation between
our two skirts + other details.

Back
Top Bottom