Does Anybody Know If One Aerobic Workout is Better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
than two, half as long, am and pm?

Is one workout for an hour at your target rate more beneficial than two half as long but spaced out in the morning and again late in the day?

Seems two might stoke the BMR up a bit more?

what if I would rather ask here and hope for Coach Izzy? or Cameron?

but thanks for the advice, I might have been able to come up with that one myself. lol.

or, I could "just call DAN"...

I usually workout about 1 to 2 hours after breakfast because I wanna get some blood movement around my body. For stressful days like when I'm in class or days I'm not underwater, I would do some workout about mid afternoon or close to 8pm. As for working like one in the morning and another in the afternoon all in one day, I remember my coach said that you shouldn't do that because the body needs to settle down and rest in order to get use to the activity you just did, but thats what she said so I'm not sure if that works or not. But every night I do yoga which I do recommend it for every diver because it helps lower the heart beat and allows me to breath longer underwater. I hope this helps. :)

As far as I know, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If the goal is pure aerobic conditioning, then one workout at a sufficient level to keep you in your aerobic heart rate for an extended period would be preferred - then a recovery/rest period is necessary as well.

If your goal is to help turn your body into a calorie/fat burning machine, then small workouts multple times daily along with 6 evenly spaced small meals per day will work.

Some combination would probably be best, as your body tends to adapt to repetitive workouts and then you will have dimished results. Variety gets better results.

If you are looking for a reference for the information that I'm quoting, you can google Dr. Bob Arnot, or Carmichael Training Systems, or just about any current overall fitness publication.

I looked up and read a lot on this subject, as I had a similar question about 3 months ago.

Hope this helps a little.

Carmichael Training Systems

I have a dvd of his and it is pretty hard!

those "power intervals" geez, louise. That lactic acid Vo2, whatever he calls it clearance pre-exercise interval is interesting....also that he calls HR bpm "watts" or power output...what's up with that?

Thanks...I want to burn fat. A fat butt to be exact.

I prefer to do 2 (30 minutes at 155 or so...) Going an hour is too tough.
I have trouble ramping up my workouts, I get comfortable and then I am probably wasting my time a bit.

catherine96821:
Thanks...I want to burn fat. A fat butt to be exact.

You do not look fat...:confused:

yea, I gained 15 pounds last year. I have lost about 6 of that but it is not easy all of a sudden. I am having to work harder to keep my MR up I guess. Or..maybe I am losing muscle mass...or maybe I have had a few too many Bud lites.

I agree completely about the yoga...have you seen Shiva Rhea dvd's or CDs?

http://www.shivarea.com/

Oh and Rodney Yee "Yoga for Strength"...for inspiration anyway.

I've been reading/experimenting that if you run or workout and maintain a constant speed or BPM, then you'll burn fat/calories WHILE you're working out, but if you try a "high intensity" run or workout, you'll actually burn more calories AFTER you've worked out.
An example of HI training would be where you start slow to warm up, then run as fast as you can for a min, then slow down for a min, and just continue these cycles until then end of your workout and have a cool down session.

That is similar to the interval training the the OP mentioned above. It also helps your body to shorten its recovery rate and become more efficient.

I've found that kind of training/conditioning can be helpful during diving as well. After short periods of exertion, you will return to calm normal respiration faster.

Back
Top Bottom