Does a Camera change your dive experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes it is Alcina. I was expecting you of all people to weigh in heavy.
I would apreciate to hear from you.

alcina:
Great thread, great responses.

:D

I dived for about 40 years without a camera, but off-and-on. Since purchasing an U/W video rig in 2001, I've dived far more often with even greater enjoyment the last 5 years. It has given added purpose to my dives since I can now share what I see with other divers and non-divers through my cable TV show and DVD's. As an educator-scientist, this is an important priority for me.

The only times I dive without my camera are when something is in the shop and I don't have a backup, or when I'm doing an extended backpacking-diving trip and can't carry the additional weight.

SharkLover:
I recently purchased my first UW camera setup. And I would like ask these questions:

1) Does owning and using a camera change your overall dive experience? For the better or worse?

2) Do you find yourself going on dives without your camera?
(less hassles, more enjoyment etc)

Thanks,
Dave

Mike Veitch:
Except mine you mean...

:wink: :blush:

That is correct Mike, except for your comment about the slate.

Does drawing on a slate, sort of count like a camera???

I've dove without a camera, with a really big setup, then without, then with a small one and now, going back to big.

If you are food collecting, then no camera, otherwise, a camera is great fun.

Does it change how you dive - absolutely. Mostly for the better, but there is that "buddy" issue that can be a problem.

Would never go back.

SharkLover:
I recently purchased my first UW camera setup. And I would like ask these questions:

1) Does owning and using a camera change your overall dive experience? For the better or worse?

Thanks,
Dave

I'm been using a camera for about five years now. April 1-10 my wife and I were in Cozumel with two couples who were new to Cozumel. I shot about 800 pictures that week. Each evening we would download the pictures and delete all the bad stuff. We were able to talk about what we had seen and put names to fish and coral. Of the 800 I wound up with about 150 good to excellent pictures. This was a good week for me.
And the more you shoot the harder you will become on yourself.

I move slower and see more stuff than I ever did without a camera.

I have nearly a thousand dives so I am quite comfortable and independent under the water. I dive with a group but know that I must be totally self sufficent when I'm shooting.

It makes you be more aware of your situation. Master your underwater skills, then you can become a better diver with a camera.
There are dives I leave it onboard, and it seems that there is always regrets because you didn't have it with you. So here lately I strap the camera on my right side, a lift bag on my left and somewhere in my BC pocket is my secondary dive light.

Lake mead Tony

Mike, your slate drawings are very artistic....

SharkLover:

I have just a P&S with the case from the manufacturer. I then bought an external strobe which cost more than the camera and the case. It sure does change the overall dive experience. I now find myself taking a longer look at many things that I would have otherwise just given a cursory glance and moved on. The photos, while not spectacular, are are terrific way to remember the dive sites. I used to be more into photography when I was in high school.....a long time ago. The basics are coming back to me the more that I take the camera underwater.

SharkLover:

The camera is not a hassle. If we are diving in a group setting (multiple buddy pairs), then I won't take the camera as often as when I dive with just a buddy. It is easy enough to leave it in the trunk of the car. I can survive without photos. There are lots of dives on which I would prefer to leave the camera behind.

Uncle Pug:
... I go a lot slower now and pay attention to the small stuff.

Me2 and I enjoy the dives more. Stopping to watch the small stuff has changed my perspective on why I go for a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom