Does a Camera change your dive experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the better, then the worse and back to the better.

At first I just enjoyed taking a few snapsots then the fever took over. For years I took the camera on every dive, no exceptions. The photos were everything, it was an obsession. I got caught up in the 'perfect photo' syndrome and was seldom satisfied with my results. And diving was just the method I used to get to my subjects. I was a photographer who dived. I was also a very bad dive buddy, too obcessed with taking photos to even check to see where my buddy was, much less be attuned to his needs.

Luckily about 2 years ago I woke up and realized how much I was missing. I started shooting for fun, not results. Yes, I still want to produce good photos but they are no longer my main goal. I may or may not take a camera with me on dives and when I do I may or may not take more than just the camera itself. I come home with about half the shots I used to but I enjoyed each dive for itself, the photos were just an extra aspect of it. I no longer worry about the shots I missed, the creatures I saw and didn't have a camera with me. Now I'm just a diver who takes a few photos.

I'd like to agree with Dee, but sorry, I can't yet. When I'm diving I'm consumed by my camera. Fortunately, my permanent dive buddy has slowed down for me and is my navigator and spotter of good stuff. Of course, slowing down has made her cold so she's got a dry suit on the way. All the "I'm more attentive to my trim" comments aside, all the camera junkies I see on dives are semi vertical and tend to bounce off the bottom and forget about their air. I know one who has been rescued by three different people. Personally, I enjoy diving a lot more with the camera but I get more frustrated with bad vis and surge when they mess with my shots.

Most of the photographers I dive with have much better buoyancy than most other diver and are very self sufficient as far as their safety. They have been diving long enough that taking care of themselves is second nature.
Now a diver who just takes a few pictures, that's a different story, sometimes.

That's a good point UP. That is one of my favorite positions, you can get a better perspective on the subject and your legs don't touch anything.

When I first started out diving, I was a reef runner too. My goal for every dive was to see as much of the reef as possible. Then I got connected to SB and saw the pics that Dee and Gilligan were taking and I got hooked on that. I still consider myself a decent buddy. Also, there are still times when I leave the camera and just enjoy a more leisurely dive with no thoughts about shooting critters (excepts that's usually when all the good stuff comes out).

Having dived without, then with, then without, now with a camera again - I am qualified to say diving with a Camera changes so much for me:

1) I dive slower. Much slower. This means I needed to augment my exposure protection. I also need to add a little more weight when I shoot, as I do more breath holding to compose, etc...

2) I know more about the stuff I'm seeing. Its no longer "the blue fishy" or the "funny pink snail"... I have names (well, my names and their real names) for most of the stuff I see now. Its totally improved my knowledge of the fish, plants, animals and stuff I dive with. I now have many, many reference books on this stuff. Never did before I started shooting.

3) I almost never dive without a camera. If not bringing my Nikon DSLR, I'm bringing a little Sony P&S - sometimes both (W/A and Macro.) There is always something to see and shoot.

4) Its improved my Buddy's awareness - Whoever my buddy is, they know I'm shooting so they are on the watch. They not only serve as critter spotter, but also know where I am at all times. This isn't unusual, as I dive with a tight circle of divers, but I have noticed that because I stop a lot, they hang closer.

5) I get to add a whole other task to the multi-tasking that is diving. I love the challenge. First it was just diving. Then it became precision diving. Then adding an HID, then adding a Drysuit, then adding dry gloves, then adding a camera, etc, etc, etc... Maintaining a high level of skill as a diver has been the best part. I'm a diver who photographs. Not a photographer who dives.

6) As mentioned, its broadened the circle of supporters. Family, friends and others get to know what the heck is going on down there.

7) Its given me a greater appreciation for creation. I was pretty grateful and in mouth-agape awe before, but since I started shooting, I'm even more humbled. Its truly remarkable, the diversity of life that is in the oceans that 99% of people will never ever get to see. I am very fortunate. More than fortunate. Blessed.

Shooting has changed my diving for the better, as I'm much more engaged with the surroundings and the life I see, and I can savor each dive longer and in much more vivid details by going back over the photos.

Of course, its taken diving expense to a whole other level... but its just stuff. I eBayed a bunch of stuff I didn't enjoy nearly as much to secure the housings and strobes and things.

Shooting rules.

Like others - it slowed me down. I don't need to see the whole reef. I get an infinite amount of pleasure looking for things to take pictures of. It has made me FAR more aware of my surroundings.

That said since I'm a pro photographer above water - I can take or leave the photo thing to my buddies.

I agree OEX2. It has made me see instead of just looking. It's amazing how complex these creatures beneath the sea are and as Mo2vation says, it give you the chance to share all these wonders with family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom