Does 1+1= 1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
My son has finally decided to make some cold water dives with me. He has his own 3/2 full suit and I wondering if he puts an additional (spare) full 3mil over it will:

1. Does that in essence make it equivalent to a 6/5?

2. Will he have more or less mobility than a straight 7mil?

Once I see whether he will continue cold-water we will buy his own warmer suit. But after a $100 for gloves and a hood today I want to make sure.

carldarl:
My son has finally decided to make some cold water dives with me. He has his own 3/2 full suit and I wondering if he puts an additional (spare) full 3mil over it will:

1. Does that in essence make it equivalent to a 6/5?

2. Will he have more or less mobility than a straight 7mil?

Once I see whether he will continue cold-water we will buy his own warmer suit. But after a $100 for gloves and a hood today I want to make sure.

In terms of rubber he should have the insulating value. If the suits fit together really well so water is not flushing all over the place he should end up with a second layer of some what warmer water and that will help too. As always fit is critical. Layering is a great way to build protection.

As for mobility I would think that since the suits can work as layers mobility would be better than a solid 7.

My question would be is if the rubber is all there? Some 3/2 suits are mostly 2 and I think sometimes they even include the nylon overlay which has no insulating value.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom