Doctor sparks debate over CPR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aa777888:
Wow, this is a heck of a thread.

It was touched on in a couple of posts, but have we considered that the entire issue is ALMOST moot?

I can quote NH statistics from a few years ago (from my 8 year stint on a municipal EMS service): only approx. 10% of pre-hospital cardiac arrests are resuscitated and only 10% of those (an aggregate 1%) ever leave the hospital again. My service was an ACLS provider only 10 minutes from our receiving hospitals. We had the best rate in the state one year, 12%. 99% of these were secondary to cardiac disease. The trauma-arrest resuscitation rate is close to zero.

An interesting book was written on all this, "Sudden Death and the Myth of CPR" by Stefan Timmermans.

Cardiac arrest secondary to respiratory arrest caused by simple mechanical means, say because of drowning, has better statistics, but I don't know what they are.

It seems likely that the difference between the worst CPR and the best CPR is probably worth fractions of a percentage point in survivability. Let's face it, cardiac arrest is almost always a very late sign of a really damaged system.

Anyway, I say "almost moot" because, like anyone else, if and when it's time I want my 1% chance. But please don't argue too much while you're doing it, just give it your best try. At worst you'll have provided what now amounts to the first important part of the modern-day American death ritual.

aa

Agreed. In general, CPR is helpful in cases of V. Tach/V.Fib; thats where early defibrillation can be helpful. Otherwise, our sucess rates are dismal. And you're right trauma is even worse than that. The bigger issue is that if your gonna do it, you should do it properly, and train people to do it right.

babar

babar

i would have to agree with the Dr. ; i've working in emergency depts. for over ten years as an er doc, and unless compressions are continous at a rate of at least 100 not enough blood even flows through the lungs to get oxygenated. really, an et tube and 100% O2 with continious compresions is the way to go. otherwise about 60% of the people who get a cardiac rythm in the field end up brain damaged.

snodaze

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom