CPR - personal lesson learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody thanks for the support, it means a lot and does help!

A lot of the recommendations are valid points, but I feel I should explain the "on call" system a bit more. There is no formal relationship between me as a volunteer and the emergency services. I am not on a typical on call schedule were I must respond to a call out. It is more like asking a friendly neighbor to help out when it can make a difference, without any obligation to actually do so.

When I get a callout in the app, get the text message and get the automated phone call, I can decide if I want to go or not. The previous time it happened I was at a party (pre social distancing) had a few drinks and decided I wasn't in a helpful state so I didn't go. The time before that I helped by holding the door open and holding a flashlight. It is not always traumatic, so that makes it easier to volunteer I guess.
The idea is that by making it as easy as possible to volunteer, more people sign up and show up (there were 4 of us this morning in the end), increasing the chances somebody can make a difference.

So while making it easier for people to volunteer and help out is great, it also makes it rather difficult to train, educate and equip the volunteers, since there is no central steering or coordination. Basically it boils down to personal preparation, what people want to do themselves beyond basic CPR training and what materials they are willing to buy. I am quite happy to buy some more protective materials, but need to draw the line somewhere. It will be a while before I would consider buying a personal AED for example.
I agree that the garage probably isn't the best place for items you would need to grab in a hurry, so I will look into that. I hope that next time (despite this I still believe I can potentially contribute in some cases) I will actually bring and use them.

Thanks again for all the support!

Having a kit in the car is kind of nice, but if the car is parked 500' away across the parking lot, it's pretty well useless.

Run over to the victim
quickly analyse
dial 911
run over to your car
grab your kit
either run back or drive back through the parking lot at 50mph.
now treat the victim that died 2-5 minutes ago, while you were running around trying to get your own heart attack.

If you don't have it on your person, you probably won't have the time to get it when you need it!

Michael

Interestingly, today I got an e-mail from HartslagNu, the on call organisation, with adjusted CPR guidelines during corona. It is in Dutch, so can't copy paste, but will paraphrase, obviously with the disclaimer that I do live in the Netherlands, were first aid providers are legally protected. Other rules and regulations may apply in your area. This is still only the internet, so please make sure to check what is applicable to you.
In any case, the mail says:
"
All CPR:
- DO NOT feel or listen for breathing
- DO only look for normal breathing
- DO NOT touch the head of the victim

EMS dispatch adjusted their protocol to pre-screen for corona. In case of a patient with no reason to suspect corona:
- DO NOT provide rescue breaths
- DO provide chest compressions
- DO hook up an AED if available

In case corona is suspected:
- DO NOT provide rescue breaths
- DO NOT provide chest compressions
- DO hook up an AED

In general, do not respond to a call out in case you or a member of your family are not feeling well or if you are part of a risk group.
"

Having a kit in the car is kind of nice, but if the car is parked 500' away across the parking lot, it's pretty well useless.

Run over to the victim
quickly analyse
dial 911
run over to your car
grab your kit
either run back or drive back through the parking lot at 50mph.
now treat the victim that died 2-5 minutes ago, while you were running around trying to get your own heart attack.

If you don't have it on your person, you probably won't have the time to get it when you need it!

Michael
We are talking about someone who is responding to an incident after getting a notification on their phone. Your scenario is completely different...
However even in your scenario it can be nice to have a known location of a fist aid kit (aka your car) that you can get to while other bystanders begin doing what they can in the meantime...

We are talking about someone who is responding to an incident after getting a notification on their phone. Your scenario is completely different...
However even in your scenario it can be nice to have a known location of a fist aid kit (aka your car) that you can get to while other bystanders begin doing what they can in the meantime...

Well the thing is, I was at home. I could have taken 30 seconds to get my kit. I could have jumped in my car.

But in the moment, I decided the quickest way to get to the address was on my bike. I jumped on it and I went.
So I ended up performing CPR without protection, it shook me quite a bit afterwards.

Having a grab bag available (in the car or other logical places) might have prevented that to a certain extent. I did put one in a logical place today.

Hopefully, if there ever is another time, I will either grab the bag or use different judgement on site.

These are also an option. I used to carry the slightly smaller one that only has a mask in it, when I was a college security guy. Gloves were on my Batman belt.

CPR Keychain with Face Shield and Gloves| Red Cross Store
That looks great to carry on outings that involve exposure to water when one might need to perform CPR on a drowning victim as they need rescue breaths. The minimum order is five units, and there is an unknown shipping charge, but just share at about $5 each.

Back when we took Rescue Diver, I ordered several pocket masks from DAN for my dive bud, my kids, and myself. My bud's dead and the kids probably lost track of theirs, but I still carry mine in a ziplock with gloves and antiseptic wipes in my car. I do need to change out the pack of Wet-Ones more often as those dry out in time; recently checked and replaced. DAN doesn't carry a pocket mask anymore so get those.

For non-drowning needs, just remember that rescue breathes are not needed unless the victim is a baby or toddler, and for the latter just take your chances.

It is easy to have a break down, especially with the current pandemic. I went to grocery store today, before bring the items into the house I have set up a cleaning area where I wipe down everything. Well today, my father who is 87 was with me riding along (not going into the store). Due me not thinking when opening the door to put the groceries I pulled on his seat belt which caused a skin tear. Nothing serious but he is an old guy.

When get back to the house, my first thought was get the cold groceries into the frig and help my father with a bandage. I forgot to first do the wipe down just put stuff in the frig. Mean while my father grabs a bag of groceries to bring in as well, then heads to the bathroom where I find him getting bandages out. He forgets to wash his hands not even thinkings about handling the grocery bags. So multiple break downs. Trying times.

That said, props to OP.

Back
Top Bottom