Doc Wong's Fundamentals Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't it a surprise, how much FUN it is just to get in the water and work on skills? My husband still shakes his head at my willingness to go burn a tank in 20 feet of water, just practicing . . .

Yea! We're finding that drilling in the pool incredibly fun! In fact what a great weekeday activity, can't go diving, let's jump into the pool and do drills and see how good we can get at it! Heck, we can make a whole new sport out of it!

So since my last post, we've done numerous ocean dives and pool practice dives and I can say that I've moved from a total clutz in the water to just a bit uncoordinated under water! :blinking:

Thanks for all the feedback, I was encouraged by one of you that I'll come out of it much better off and that it'll start clicking and it'll all be a lot easier and now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

We're all currently able to do all the drills in the pool and open ocean and stay within a 4 foot depth window which is pretty close to our goals of a 3 foot window.

I'm finding that diving with other divers trained in the DIR buddy system makes dive SO much more fun and unstressful. I'm of course diving with all my non-DIR buddies, but it's been an interesting contrast with some divers surprising me on buddy skills.

I'm now off to practice. We've got another 15 practice sesions before we do our Fundies checkout dive. I suspect that it should be pretty easy as each practice session is done we can all see the improvement. It's just number of times over giving me the certainty in these drills. This has been exactly what I was looking for when I re-entered diving last year. Coming from other hi-performance sports I've been very genned into training and drilling and was so surprised that most divers don't practice and drill skills.

Once we get this done, we'll do more task loading drills and failures. Greg wants to do Tech 1 and Todd and I will probably do it with him, so we want to be totally ready for that when that comes! :coffee:

I'm finding that diving with other divers trained in the DIR buddy system makes dive SO much more fun and unstressful.

So very true.

I suspect that it should be pretty easy as each practice session is done we can all see the improvement.

I was completely amazed when I did some log checking for my dive buddy and discovered that he and I did a grand total of a dozen practice dives between when we hooked up and when we passed. And we passed well, as far as I could read from our instructor. It's simply amazing how much progress you can make if you're willing to spend a little time on it. (Of course, that dozen practice dives was accompanied, for me, by about 80 non-practice dives with various people, so there was a lot of diving altogether. But for the skills, it was only twelve.)

Congratulations on having your trio for your tech training already together!

Hey, I just wanted to share that we passed our Fundies-recreational standard i.e. skills done within a 5 foot window. We still sucked at our ascents so no Fundies-Tech level pass yet. Lots of pool practice didn't help our ascents, so off we go practicing that and then we should be able to pass the tech standard. \

We're planning on practicing the Tech One type multiple failure type drills, etc to prepare for Tech One later.

I am SO evilly glad to hear that somebody else has trouble with ascent drills -- my practice buddy is so good at them that I feel like I must be scuba-delayed . . .

Followup.

Well today we did it! My team passed! We passed Fundies to Tech 1 standards.

So now we've demonstrated doing all our drills within a 3 foot window, with the team really pulling together! To earn this we did both pool and ocean practice sessions with today being in the ocean over 2 hours drilling and having a blast. When it came time to get checked out, the improvement was fun to see and experience.

I'd recommend Fundies to anyone wanting to improve their skills and diving!

Congratulations on the tech pass! I have a fair few more dives in the doubles (and valve drills) to go before that happens.

Congrat's on the Tech pass. Feels good doesnt it?? Now it's time for 2000 ascent/ descent drills to 70ft to get ready for tech...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom