Doc Wong's Fundamentals Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong:
Ambient pressure valve? You mean your drysuit exaust valve that's usually located in the upper left arm? Is this valve any different than the typical exaust valve?
Its way different....like "out of this world" different.

What part of Ambient or pressure did you not understand?

Hm...I have no idea what kind of valve you're talking about, so this is entirely new to me. Or am I just being stupid and it's just the drysuit exhaust valve?

DocWong:
Or am I just being stupid and it's just the drysuit exhaust valve?
yes

DocWong:
Does anyone else find that if you had a core team to commit to fitness that you'd be better able to do it?
Certainly couldn't hurt to have some form of external motivation. Though I've slacked off recently, I found fitness in and of itself to be enough reward. Staying motivated is tough though.

You'll recognize me on the boat on the 4th. I'll be the fat one :D

First dive today after finishing the fundies course and what a different experience!!!

I was having so much more fun! Trim and buoyancy much improved, it was all very effortless. I feel like my diving has taken on a whole new level!

As we decended down the anchor line, I was a few inches from the sand, kicking along with no disturbance of the bottom, then as I clipped my reel, I just hovered over the area, not needing to put a knee on the bottom.

Then finning along was a dream. I felt pretty trim and the only energy I expended was in moving forward.

On the ascent I was much more controlled and able to maintain my depths easily. In the past during decos I could vary from 15 feet to 28 feet on a 20 min deco at 20 feet. That used to be pretty disasterous, but now with the Fundies course done, I'm on my way to much better decos, etc.

So I'm pretty thrilled about it all!

That is absolutely the best thing about getting this kind of training -- It makes diving more FUN!

I think if I had to pick the one thing from Fundies that has made the biggest difference in my enjoyment of my diving, though, it would be the concept of team. Diving with people like my practice buddy, kidspot, or Bob is like an elegant underwater dance and it gives me great joy.

jumsted65:
Certainly couldn't hurt to have some form of external motivation. Though I've slacked off recently, I found fitness in and of itself to be enough reward. Staying motivated is tough though.

You'll recognize me on the boat on the 4th. I'll be the fat one :D

With seal bite marks on his ankle!

:lol:

Ben_ca:
With seal bite marks on his ankle!

:lol:
You're just jealous cuz the seals don't molest you :wink: Not to drag this too far off topic, but we had a great trip on the 4th, even if the snotty conditions got the better of me at one point.

So Todd, Greg and I have a ways to go to pass. We're going for the Tech 1 standards of doing the drills within the 3 foot window, etc.

Last night was our 2nd practice pool session. Between the 3 of us, we have 2 swimming pools. Interesting how one needs to continually dial in their technique and equipment to get proficient.

We practiced Valve Drills, Basic 5, and Shooting a Bag.

Valve Drills: Todd did the best on his valve drills, easily reaching them with his trim getting better and not dropping his knees. I still had trouble reaching my left valve and am still getting used to my new TLS 350 drysuit. Greg did ok too, reaching his valves easily, now that he has new undergarmets that did not bind him. He got the DUI 400 Thinsulite undergarmet. He did however have trouble with the chin part of his hood getting stuck over his mouth and was just a bit panicked in the pool. No worries, It was amazing how fast my primary was deployed, ready to stick into his mouth.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do to be able to reach my left valve easily. Now since I got my new drysuit, I may be able to move the tanks up a bit without my head hitting the valves. I'll see how that goes. Also I noticed that the left valve was harder to reach after first reaching it, so I suspect that I'm inadvertently dumping gas out of my drysuit when my left arm is trying to get to the left valve. Next time I'll make sure I'm not rolled to my left side up for that.

Basic 5: We all did well on that.

Shooting a Bag: This was definitely our strength. We easily stayed within the 5 foot window doing that.

Next week, it's another 2 sessions in the pool for us!

It's getting easier and easier!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom