Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To facilitate this dive we have sunk a 1,300' line with a 250# weight on it. This was the line used for the 815' dive.

Assuming this is correct, there's really no need for specialized equipment to pull #250 plus one dead diver. Few local blokes would more than do it, or most anchor winches.

That's a lot of weight to haul up from 1300'...better be a massive anchor winch.

There was another thread referencing this guy a few months ago, started by a novice diver who was just amazed that he was so privileged to be on the same boat as this guy while he was doing his warmup dives...which were deep bounce dives with little deco. I can't remember for the life of me which thread it was, but a lot of us were very clear in expressing that he was either a liar(obviously not) or just plain stupid.

this thread? Guy To Break World Record

When ever I am at a party and I hear, "Hey y'all watch this!", I tend to look away because it seldom ends well. Doc Deep was doing the same thing.

From my seat, he has my vote for the Darwin Award of 2015.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Looking at his FB page, if he was healthy, all I can think is what a waste.

Let's not forget that we are talking about a man who lost his life. It was an ill conceived plan from the start, ego driven, and he paid the ultimate price.
I neither agree with what he did nor would I ever support such a thing, however, this was a husband, father and friend to many people who now mourn him. For their sakes, let's show a little respect and not make a mockery out of this.

Just my opinion...

Let's not forget that we are talking about a man who lost his life. It was an ill conceived plan from the start, ego driven, and he paid the ultimate price.
I neither agree with what he did nor would I ever support such a thing, however, this was a husband, father and friend to many people who now mourn him. For their sakes, let's show a little respect and not make a mockery out of this.

Just my opinion...

Did you see the video at the start of this thread? He was mocking himself with that video.

[video=vimeo;132519195]https://vimeo.com/132519195[/video]

I don't thing anyone should try dives like these. I don't know what this has to do with karma... I wasn't attacking anyone.

If thats the case, then no need to worry about Karma.....

Enjoy your diving.

For all we know, he could have executed the dive perfectly and a shark took him.

The likelihood of a shark attack on this one blue water dive is extraordinarily small. Like, round to zero small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. . .Ultimately, each person who ventures out must make his or her own decisions about how far to go and what point to turn back. There's an old saying among prospectors who comb the hills for gold here in the American West: "Gold is where you find it". You can say the same about adventure ["Adventure is where you find it"]. For that matter, you can say it about risk, about death, and about being acutely alive. . . --from Introduction, Last Breath: Cautionary Tales From The Limits of Human Endurance by Peter Stark.

But on-the-other-hand:

"Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live. . ." --Robert F. Kennedy.

An intrepid yet naive, courageous but ultimately tragic endeavor: For every successful Felix Baumgartner (or deep diver Ahmed Gabr), there is a Nick Piantanida (or "Doc Deep" Guy Garman) that leaves a wake in passing. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom