Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If thats the case, then no need to worry about Karma.....

Enjoy your diving.

A bunch of other people basically said the same thing I have and were even more direct than me... how come your're only giving me s%*t?
I mean c'mon, after all, that guy tried to go to 370m in a wetsuit.

Last edited:
Could someone knowledgeable please help explain this?

This is related to tissue damage to the lungs due to long exposure to high partial pressures of oxygen during decompression. Google pulmonary oxygen toxicity.

R..

I too was mildly annoyed at world record dives being noted in recreational scuba magazines.

A bunch of other people basically said the same thing I have and were even more direct than me... how come your're only giving me s%*t?I mean c'mon, after all, that guy tried to go to 370m in a wetsuit.
Fair enough. My apology. I lost a friend and people maded comments back then. I just flipped reading this. Peace

This is related to tissue damage to the lungs due to long exposure to high partial pressures of oxygen during decompression. Google pulmonary oxygen toxicity. R..

Thank you. I somehow did not register the fact that pulmonary toxicity leads to permanent damage. Does this also apply to long rebreather dives? WKPP guys allegedly spent somewhere close to 24 hours during their record dive, most of which was spent doing deco. This dive was much shorter. I presume something to do with the extreme depths exacerbates the harmful effects of a long high ppO2 exposure?

Thank you. I somehow did not register the fact that pulmonary toxicity leads to permanent damage. Does this also apply to long rebreather dives? WKPP guys allegedly spent somewhere close to 24 hours during their record dive, most of which was spent doing deco. This dive was much shorter. I presume something to do with the extreme depths exacerbates the harmful effects of a long high ppO2 exposure?

OxTox is one of the lesser of your worries. Did you lookup HPNS ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-pressure_nervous_syndrome

Pulmonary oxtox is essentially a function of ppO2 and time, not depth. Of course gas density might be a factor, but the bulk of decompression would still be in the shallows... If I recall correctly the biggest WKPP dives are in 29 hour range. WKPP, KUR and maybe some others might be past that mark by now actually, haven't been following the progress that closely. My understanding is that at least the WKPP used to have issues with pulmonary toxicity, but those issues have been mitigated by tweaking the back gas break schedules and such. The CNS percentarges, OTUs and whatnots are way past any meaningful values on those dives anyway.

A big difference to this particular dive is that they can do the deco in a much more stable setting, and large parts of it in habitats. Ocean dives are riskier in terms of weather changes, currents etc, so there might be a temptation to push for a shorter runtime using more aggressive ppO2s. Another obvious difference is the amount experience the likes of WKPP have got from doing this sort of long deco dives, so they've been able to figure out what works.

//LN

All this talk about how difficult it is to retrieve the line makes no sense. Assuming he was able to get to 1,200 feet and return. I thought that he was going to clip something on the line at that depth as proof. How would that have been retrieved afterwards? Surely they planned for that. Can anyone explain?

All this talk about how difficult it is to retrieve the line makes no sense. Assuming he was able to get to 1,200 feet and return. I thought that he was going to clip something on the line at that depth as proof. How would that have been retrieved afterwards? Surely they planned for that. Can anyone explain?

You are mistaken if you think that any of this was well-planned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom