Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly Dr Guy Garman--Doc Deep didn't return from his dive. Scuba Tech posted on their FB page last night. Condolences to his family and friends.

I too think the line will be empty.

There's no reason they shouldn't have a capstan somewhere. It may take a while, but they should be able to haul that line up.

One thing mentioned was the damage to his lungs. Yes it will happen. I'm told (by him) to the tune of 15%-20% of his lung capacity. I don't remember the term used for it but I'm sure plenty of you here know what he's talking about.

Could someone knowledgeable please help explain this?

I sincerely hope the body is attched to the line, like Dave Shaw, when they managed to pull it up.
RIP

I sincerely hope the body is attched to the line, like Dave Shaw, when they managed to pull it up.
RIP

I think that was a different situation! Shaw was in a cave without predators.
I just looked at the facebook video and his previous "accomplishments" - like Shaw, he seriously lacked the experience by that account!

"The SCUBA TEC team and Dr. Garman have been training together for this dive for the last 2 years. Dr. Garman has been diving for 4 years. He is not an instructor. He has a total of of 595 dives. Of those, 345 have been technical dives of 200 feet or deeper. He has completed 35 dives to 500 feet or greater. His deepest dive was to 810 feet, that was accomplished on April 18, 2015."

No disrespect intended! Even a dive to 810 feet is everything but a "cupcake" dive. Jumping to 1200 feet after that is .....
Difficulty, equipment issues, etc is not linear when going deep, it's exponential!

Last edited:
Overestimating your own abilities is by far the biggest danger in diving IMHO. This is another sad example.
Also, on these ultra-deep dives you need more luck than skill.

Benno,You dont even know the man and make f$ck$d-up comments like. Karma......

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom