Do you wear a dive watch?

Do you wear a dive watch?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In answer to the original question, yes on every dive. I have a seizing with an I built solar cell, so the artery does not need to be replaced.
Why?
1. Habit i suppose, computers were not available when I learnt to dive.
2. I wear a watch to tell the time
3. My other interests are based around the sea so having a watch I do not need to worry about getting wet makes sense
4. I rarely take the watch off, so it is easier to dive with it, rather than have to put it somewhere when I dive

I use the same Seiko that I purchased in 1982, a year before learning to dive for my other watersports like snorkeling, sailing, and sailboarding. Still wear it on nearly every dive and have probably added another 7 or 8 to the collection.

Back then it was the mark of a waterman; the style was not as common as it is today. Besides, you needed it to accurately track your repetitive group using dive tables. I don't see a lot of divers wearing them today, most use a dive computer. But then, wearing a wristwatch is a generational thing, in general. I don't know too many millennials or teens that wear a wristwatch, much less a dive watch.

Since my casio's rubber band snapped from old age, it hangs off my cargo shorts' belt loop on a velcro cable tie. I rarely take it off.

So it stays in the hotel room. Or the car.

Wear one everyday, NFW Viperfish Don't wear it when I dive though as I have two computers for that.

IMG_0019.JPG

I think it was about 8 years ago that I was in a dive show and heard a speaker say that the chief purpose of the dive watch was a subtle signal to the people you meet on land that you are a diver.

I think it was about 8 years ago that I was in a dive show and heard a speaker say that the chief purpose of the dive watch was a subtle signal to the people you meet on land that you are a diver.

Sounds about right..

for a 1-hour drift in 30' max deep water, I hardly see a reason (or like the risk) to wear my Petrel..... My watch (and my SPG) tells me everything I need to know. Overshooting in not an acceptable outcome.... time is everything....

I think it comes down to divers that "KNOW" tables and those that don't... Oldschool VS new school... I just got my FIRST computer last year and still keep my dive watch and depth gauge on my right wrist.. And put the puter on my left as a back up... 31 days of diving in Bonaire last October and never had my puter in the red zone.. Diving as deep as 145 ft and multi levels.. Mostly Lionfish hunting...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom