Do you wear a dive watch?

Do you wear a dive watch?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have one never wear it diving

I have a submariner but I was using it snorkeling in aruba onetime and a guy told me that you should never wear shiny watches they can look too much like a lure. I got certified later but that comment stayed with me. Sadly I never even hardly wear it since I work in manufacturing and you shouldn't/cant wear watches and the iphone actually keeps better time (doesn't have to be shaken daily)

Have one never wear it diving

I have a submariner but I was using it snorkeling in aruba onetime and a guy told me that you should never wear shiny watches they can look too much like a lure. I got certified later but that comment stayed with me. Sadly I never even hardly wear it since I work in manufacturing and you shouldn't/cant wear watches and the iphone actually keeps better time (doesn't have to be shaken daily)

I heard that too regarding Baracudas but never had a problem swimming around them with bling on.

I got stalked by barracuda twice (that I know of) when diving in NC. That was when I had a big stainless steel buckle on my waist belt. Since I replaced it with a black XS Scuba Clearpath buckle, I've had no more curious barracuda.

I am actually pretty anal about this, I have my daughter take her earrings off when she dives with me. Sorry to get off topic. Never had a bad experience, but why take the chance.

Next thing you know I will be putting black duct tape over the shiny first stage, Just kidding

I have a submariner but I was using it snorkeling in aruba onetime and a guy told me that you should never wear shiny watches they can look too much like a lure.

You should sell me that old, used, submariner....

I have several dive watches (and some others too). I can't say I'm a collector, but I do like my (dive) watches :) I don't usually dive with them because I mainly dive dry suit and dry gloves and the straps would have to be ungodly long - even natos - and therefore not very EDC friendly.

I would wager that those same watch forums are peopled by owners of dive watches that primarily consider them as accessories or collectibles rather than working tools and that very, very, very few of them ever get their collections wet beyond a bath, a shower, or maybe a swim at the beach. I have a watch that cost me under $200 CAD that I have worn daily for 5 years, taken on over 250 dives, cold water to 3C and warm to 30C, at depths to 126 FSW, worn in showers, baths, hot tubs, saunas and other wet environments with never a hint of moisture ingress. It is a dive watch, not a dive-styled watch.

You are right about watches being accessories and collectibles with most WIS (watch idiot savant) folks. But they are really anal about their watches, and if they say that a shower and sauna do not damage the seals then they really don't.

You are right about watches being accessories and collectibles with most WIS (watch idiot savant) folks. But they are really anal about their watches, and if they say that a shower and sauna do not damage the seals then they really don't.
For the record, it is the DO NOT that I agree with, not the DO.

Based on the Apeks' appearance, I'd wager the watches are made by Seiko and just branded Apeks

Naah, it's a generic china made watch case that many watch companys use. I have that "same" 1000m model, made by the Deep Blue watch company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom