Do you use a dive light during the day?

How often do you use a light during daytime dives?

• Almost always

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Every once in a while

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Almost never

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just getting back into diving after a long layoff. I live in Oregon and I've never used a dive light. When I think back to how dark it was (during daylight dives) off the Oregon coast a light seems like it would help a lot. How many of you use lights during the day? Please vote only if you are diving in cold (dark) northern waters rather than the sunny tropics.

If the visibility is really poor (< 10') does a light make it worse (like using your bright lights driving in fog)?

I'm about ready to buy the UK Light Cannon but I'm not sure if I really need a light.

I carry a light with me on every dive. I use it during daytime dives if the water is very dark, but also to peek in holes, under rocks etc.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Is the Light Cannon too big to carry around on a regular basis?

:idea: And a spare in my boarding bag. Very handy as ScubaRon suggested, and - like Bertschb suggested, the one you're looking at may be a bit much. The two I carry each use 4 C batteries, and one will fit in my BC pocket with a little room left. I even prefer them for night dives, but that's a personal choice.

If the visibility is really poor (< 10') does a light make it worse Sometimes, but every one I've seen had an OFF switch. :hehe:

I had a light cannon. It sat on the deck most of the time BECAUSE it was too big to schlep around on every dive.

Integrating your light into your rig is the only way you'll never say to yourself "I wish I brought my light on this dive..."

eBay the light cannon, save your pennies and pick up a canister-style light. Make it a part of your rig - like your reg and your fins, and you'll always have it with you.

My light is the second highest single investment in my diving gear, following only my drysuit. Its that important to me. I'd sell my BC and my regs before I give up my light.

Its not only about light, its about safety, peace of mind, and FUN (looking into things - NOT zotting fishies.)

The LC is a flood - pretty worthless during the day. This is why I picked up a light with an adjustable beam - pencil for signaling and general diving (like 90%) and flood for illuminating open spaces.

There are a lot of stepping stones these days between the light cannon and the full blown cave light some of us carry. Do a search and give serious consideration to the safety, communication, and fun parts of having a light borg-ed into your rig. You'll wonder how you lived without it.

K

If you are diving at night or in very dark water your light basically determines what you can see and the more light the better. You will also want a flood light for this purpose. The Light Cannon is great and you just live with the bulk and weight.

If you are diving in clear waters during the day you just want to carry a small light with you so you can peek in holes etc. A 2-4 Watt halogen light (e.g. Princeton Tec 40) with a narrow beam is as good as a Light Cannon for this purpose. Personally I prefer a small light that I just put in my BC pocket, so it's there when I need it, but does not bother me if I don't.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

You Bet I use a light, in our waters here when you get below 100 feet I find it almost an added necessity....... it works great for signaling your buddies as well as making things more visible.
I dove one summer with out one and this summer with one and I will always take it along with me if nothing else just for the ride. it's kind of like long johns around here..... you can't use it if it isn't along.
Rob

OK Mo2vation-

Here's the deal. Even though I've got a hundred or so dives under my belt I haven't really been diving since the mid 80's. I had no money back then and only dove with one guy (he didn't have any money either). So, we didn't have lights. In fact, we didn't have a 2nd reg or even a BC.

Now I have money (just bought a new BC and ordered a new DUI suit). But, I still haven't been diving. Actually, I dove the OR Coast Aquarium but that doesn't count. I still need a new reg, new tank, new compass, new fins, etc. I REALLY don't want to spend several hundred dollars for a light. I'm not sure how much divign I'll actually do.

Is there a canister light worth owning for less than, say, $300 or so. Also, how do you use a canister light? I realize the canister is attached to the BC but what do you do with the lamp itself?

I don't want to waste my money on a teeny light if doesn't really work. Having said that, what's the best "compact light" out there? Are there any HID compact lights?

Just my O2 Cents...I had a Sartek 10 Watt Hid Non Focusable and really didn't like it So I bought a Solly's 10 Watt focusable and for what it's worth it has been the best Hid light I have used and the price was right to you can see them at.
http://www.terkel.net/sollys.htm
Rob

I use a light during the day...Its MUCH easier to see into the crevices and under the kelp canopy when you have light...

Lots of cool critters are easier to see with light...

--Sean

Back
Top Bottom