Do you use a dive light during the day?

How often do you use a light during daytime dives?

• Almost always

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Every once in a while

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Almost never

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of critter hide out in the nooks and crannies of the reef.

Until recently, it was usually a UK Q40 -- small 4AA light but with a highly focused center spot. Much more light than the similar Princeton Tec40.

Ever since I tried out the Ikelite PCa light, however, the Q40 has been relegated to backup light status. The 6AA PCa light is very small, but 7.5 watts. Great daytime light and as a night light was better than the rental lights the other divers were using. Battery life is a mere 2 hours with alkaline, but that isn't a problem since I bring NiMH batteries and a lightweight fast charger.

You do have to properly service the PCa O-rings though. I didn't and it flooded after about 25 dives ---- either some sand or salt crystals were underneath the O-ring. Now I remove, clean and regrease daily as I reinstall the recharged batteries.

Yeah, the PCa lite is a great light to keep semi-permanently in a BC pocket. I've been doing that for the past 9 years! (But not that many dives, unfortunately :( )

I usually used it whenever I wanted to look into crevices. Since I only turned it on for a few seconds at a time when needed, a set of batteries lasted me for dozens of dives. When not being used, it's hardly noticable due to its small form factor. It's one of those things I found that worked really well for me.

If I didn't switch over to BP/wings recently, I'd still be using it the same way, but unfortunately the PCa lite is difficult to stow with BP/wings.

I always use a torch on every dive. the viz is too bad not too. Less than 3m is fairly standard. As mentioned earlier they are great for looking holes even when the viz is good.

As for the light cannon, i have one and carry it all the time (mind you its on all the time), but just stick it in your stab pocket or hang it off a D-ring. the only bad thng is that it takes about 5 seconds to warm up, so you can't just flick it on and look in a whole and then theurn it back off again. But if you use a torch regularly they are great torches. just watch the bulb, it costs about 70 sterling to replace!!! :( :(

I take really good care of my gear but this Light Cannon has me a little worried. Will the bulb break if the light is just banged around a little while hanging from a D ring or do you actually have to drop it?

All of my gear tends to get banged around a little just getting in and out of the water (shore dives, climbing down the rocks of a jetty, etc).

I don't think I'll drop it but I will almost certainly bump it into stuff every once in a while. Should I skip the HID lights?

I'd have to say i've had a bad run of luck with the Light Cannon bulbs. I have just ordered my second replacement in 12 months. The first bulb was cracked when i bought the torch but i did not realise it and was not using the torch for AGES. Still worked fine but it got dropped (TOTALLY my own fault) and smashed, the replacement was working rand, lent my torch to a mate, got it back and its not working (hoping its only the bulb).

But no it'll take a few slaps and bags as dive gear gets but it won't take you hammering a nail with it.

Some vendors are now making their HID bulbs harder simply because to date they really aren't tough enough to take the diving abuse. Greenforce do an impact model thats more or less indestructable (but dear).

I have a QD 40 mask mounted light and a Super Sabre on my bc for every dive

I bring my large primary light when diving @ night or penetrating a wreck.

I use a light day or night. The light is an 18W HID. Best damn gear I ever bought

I dive mostly off of NJ and NY and its almost a necessity. Without a good light there is ofter little reason to bother doing the dive (I've been on dives that were so dark it qualified as a night dive - and it was noon!)

I also used it on every dive (day and night) in grand cayman with 100 foot viz. It was awesome for seeing into crevices and under overhangs/swimthroughs

It turns dives that from boring mono chromatic nothingness into colorful bright dives.

As for really low viz dives, I've found the light helps more than hurts - just hold it off to the side (like fog lights are mounted low) to reduce backscatter

bertschb once bubbled...
OK Mo2vation-

Is there a canister light worth owning for less than, say, $300 or so. Also, how do you use a canister light? I realize the canister is attached to the BC but what do you do with the lamp itself?

I don't want to waste my money on a teeny light if doesn't really work. Having said that, what's the best "compact light" out there? Are there any HID compact lights?

I don't know how prices compare in the US, but in the UK the Italian company Fa & mi do an excellent range of hand held and cannister lights at lowish prices (they start around $300-400).
www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/acatalog/FAMI.html

Thanks for the link. I'll check them out. From what others are saying, it sounds like I should get an HID canister light. It's only money - right? Other than price I don't see any drawbacks as compared to a hand held light.

bertschb once bubbled...
Thanks for the link. I'll check them out. From what others are saying, it sounds like I should get an HID canister light. It's only money - right? Other than price I don't see any drawbacks as compared to a hand held light.

Before I bought my cannister 10w HID light, I usually left my light topside. Now I take my light with me all the time. I hated having to lug a hand held light around, and never liked clipping it to my BC. I don't see any drawbacks to using a cannister light, it would be the other way around. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom