Do you use a chest strap w/BP&W or not, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question was asked "Why don't you have a chest strap"
and the answer given "Because you don't need it"

To which my follow-up question is (and I'm not trying to be facetious) "Define need".

I have no doubt that a properly rigged harness won't fall off, so in that sense, you don't need one. However, what if it makes the rig more comfortable to wear? I guess this really becomes a question on where do you draw the line between minimalism and comfort?

The big caveat here is that I've never worn a BP, so I'm only guessing based on other experience, but that experience involves a fair number of multi-night backpacking trips... I don't need a chest-strap to keep my pack on, but having one means I can loosen the shoulder-straps a touch, but not have them slide sideways off my shoulders (not being a particularly large or broad-shouldered person).

Just curious, not trying to stir anything up...

Jamie

jrtonkin once bubbled...
The question was asked "Why don't you have a chest strap"
and the answer given "Because you don't need it"

To which my follow-up question is (and I'm not trying to be facetious) "Define need".

I have no doubt that a properly rigged harness won't fall off, so in that sense, you don't need one. However, what if it makes the rig more comfortable to wear? I guess this really becomes a question on where do you draw the line between minimalism and comfort?

The big caveat here is that I've never worn a BP, so I'm only guessing based on other experience, but that experience involves a fair number of multi-night backpacking trips... I don't need a chest-strap to keep my pack on, but having one means I can loosen the shoulder-straps a touch, but not have them slide sideways off my shoulders (not being a particularly large or broad-shouldered person).

Just curious, not trying to stir anything up...

Jamie

The caveat is the key. If you havent' worn a BP, you can't feel how it rides on your body. This isn't a straight jacket! And the shoulder straps are not coming off if the harness is properly configured. The simple answer is: you don't need a chest strap. Why put something on that could break, get in the way, foul something up?

Your backpack pulls back and down when you're hiking. There is no correlation to diving in this case.

The chest strap does not solve a problem here. It creates one.

or "stokes" to the fundalmentalists. If your physique dictates it, or if it's more comfortable, wear the chest strap.

The chest strap does not solve a problem here. It creates one.

Tell my wife her Halcyon will fit better and don easier without her diveright harness. (with chest strap) Mine Halcyon works fine, as is, but the one size fits all or nothing just doesn't fly here. jmho.

tony

scubatexastony once bubbled...
or "stokes" to the fundalmentalists. If your physique dictates it, or if it's more comfortable, wear the chest strap.

Tell my wife her Halcyon will fit better and don easier without her diveright harness. (with chest strap) Mine Halcyon works fine, as is, but the one size fits all or nothing just doesn't fly here. jmho.

tony

Okay.

Hey Tony's wife! Your BP will fit better without a chest strap! It's probably not rigged right!

How's that?

Before I bought my BP and Harness, I had a "Tech" BC that had a chest strap. It always seemed kind of constricting being so high up on your chest. Plus, it did not help it fit any better.

With my BP and Harness, I think a chest strap would have a similiar effect. It would probably make the whole rig uncomfortable, at least to me, and not make it any more stable.

I don't think a chest strap is needed but, some people seem to like them.

jrtonkin once bubbled...
I guess this really becomes a question on where do you draw the line between minimalism and comfort?
Ah, so, Grasshopper, now you see... the true minimalist devotee will never allow comfort to interfere with minimalism... indeed, when properly indoctrinated the mental discomfort of having a single unnecessary thread dangling from one's gear will far outweigh any comfort to be gained by having it. And they will believe it. And they won't understand why you won't believe it. And so in their frustration they will call you names, and cast you out, and comfort themselves that they are cleansed...
Rick

scubatexastony once bubbled...
Tell my wife her Halcyon will fit better and don easier without her diveright harness. (with chest strap) Mine Halcyon works fine, as is, but the one size fits all or nothing just doesn't fly here.

Interesting...

My wife has the exact opposite experience. Her previous setup had a chest strap, and she absolutely *hated* it. She now dives a Halcyon setup with no chest strap, and I couldn't force her to go back to using a chest strap. Originally, she didn't think she'd like the Halcyon, but humoured me and now thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

She claims the chest strap uncomfortably presses on that part of her anatomy I don't have. :D :D (This is a family-friendly Board, isn't it?)

Nate

I use a chest strap on my singles BC but I do not need/want one on my doubles rig. It fits superbly without one. (I use the non-bungied OMS 65# wings on a backplate that I made from aluminum for doubles.
You just need to determine this for yourself and your own custom fit. (That's part of the fun of diving though isn't it?)
Norm

Back
Top Bottom